Renault alternator wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have fitted an alternator from a Renault 5 onto my mini digger .The alternator is a Valeo type A13, it has two threaded terminal posts and a two wire block. Does anyone know how to wire it up ? The main charge wire is obvious but how do i connect the warning light ?

Sponsored Links
All i can suggest is to fit it, run the engine and get a multimeter on the terminals to see what does what. I would think the wire for the warning light would be live when the alternator isn't running, and dead when running (don't quote me on that though!)
I'd go for the 2 main terminal posts as being the ones you want, the others are probably for a rev counter or something

In the cars I have seen, albeit mainly volvos you are sort of right with the warning light thing, the lamp is connected one side to ign live so when the ignition is on there will be 12v ish present on it. When the alternator is stopped the voltage on the terminal is about 0v thus the lamp illuminates. When the alternator is running the voltage on the alternator terminal comes up to battery voltage thus extinguishing the lamp. Some need a neutral for the excitation circuit, some don't. The warning lamp often needs to be in the circuit for the alternator to function correctly. The varying number of pins can mean anything.
Which year Renault 5 did it come off?
Now if you had a 1995 volvo 440 alternator :LOL:

Ok i'm going to try on the 2 main posts and see what happens - thanks for your help and watch this space !

Sponsored Links
Quick google shows that A13 alternators are also fitted to puggy 405. Looking at a haynes manual for a peugeot 405 it shows 51 connected to battery, 61 to instrument cluster and what I take to be chassis to earth.

Thank you all for your help so far - Having connected up as i described before i now have ignition light but it won't go out and there's no charging - i'll connect the other two terminals tomorrow and hopefully it will all work correctly.

I'm not sure how they are marked and i'll need to remove it again to see due to the fact it's down the back of the engine and totally hidden ! Fortunately i also have the wiring loom from the renault so i have the plug too !

Can you get a mirror or something down to see the markings? I'd hate to see you connect it wrong and blow it up!

I'll find a way even if i have to take it off again ( don't worry i'm getting used to doing that now ! ) I looked at diagram that Spirov? posted and it seems to make perfect sense - provided the terminals are marked accordingly

yes i think so - it's on the same side of the engine as the one it came from - does the wattage of the warning lamp have any effect ?

I have connected the 2 extra terminals as per the link that stevino kindly provided but still no charge , i'm fairly sure the alternator is a good one - any other ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Back