Renault Extra diesel head.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if the valves on a diesel engine on a 1.9 Renault are recessed. I have the oppertunity of buying a cheap renault extra in vgc. I know it is the same engine as the clio. The cam belt has snapped and I wonder if the valves have hit the pistons?

Sponsored Links
Is that the same engine as the Peugeot 1.9? I've repaired one of those when the cambelt snapped. It also snapped the camshaft and centre cap when the valve hit the piston, bending one valve. The good thing is the valves are not inclined so hit square and didn't damage piston.

No - Peugeot 1.9D and Renault 1.9D totally different. Citroen and Peugeot engines are broadly the same, both companies being part of the PSA Group.

Ok, I thought it was all the same firm. I would be surprised if any diesel engine didn't get valve contact with piston if cambelt breaks. A compression ratio of at least 20:1 means very little clearance volume. I wouldn't buy the engine without the head off first.

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on the engine speed when the cambelt snapped.
You might be lucky, or it could be a case of a top end overhaul.
As shaggy said better to take the head off and check.
Quick fit

Bit hard before you buy it though isn't it. I would be very wary with this one myself. Have you rang round salvage yards for a rough price and more so the availability, just in case the units scrap? Used vans are not OTT on price at the moment.

If the sellers stuck, will except you paying subject to removing the head and looking? may worth trying you never know.

I have an Extra Van too - In case you are interested, or it may help, my engineer friend says 'If you do need a head renault 19,cleo and 440
volvo diesels are all the same.' F8Q 1.9 Diesel engine.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Back