Renault Laguna Heated rear window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 95(M) 1.8 RT which is in excellent/immaculate condition (55k)

Recently the heated rear windowe has stopped working

Looking at the manual it cant be a fuse because the appropriate fuse also controls other still functioning items (rear wash wipe etc)

Upon pressing the switch a "click" can be heard

......any ideas????(please, please please!)

Sponsored Links
Find the electrical connections that take power to the HRW and put a voltmeter or 12v tester across them - you should see 12v here. If no joy, the cables occasionally fracture where they exit the tailgate, heading into the roof.
John :)

wow that was quick!

thanks will check and report back - do you think it may be the relay? I only ask because the car is in such good nick - 15years and still no one has sat in the back!!!

When you switch the HRW on, the click that you hear is likely to be the relay, and that would suggest its working.....more likely to be wire issues, I think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Check the white plug behind the fabric under the boot light, you may find that the connector (thick white cable (Earth)) has melted in the socket.

Cut the white wire that comes out the top of plug and the green/yellow that comes out of the bottom and join them together (use a piece of heat shrink to cover the bear wire before joining together.

this was the fault with mine and now works fine. :LOL:

I am not too keen to venture outside at the moment for some strange reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........as soon as the thaw sets in I will check both suggestions and report back

Cheers guys ........and keep warm ;)

This worked for me:
As well as the connector in the boot (which I by-passed but it still didn't work), there is also a connector located behind the left plastic panel on the front passenger area, i.e. imagine where the passenger's left ankle would be, you should see the wiring loom going down behind the panel.

I pulled the panel out as well as across the side (towards the middle of the car - still to the left of the passenger) in order to get better leverage and clearance of the connector.

After pulling the connector's safety lever down, and a slight squeeze on the right side, I then disconnected the two halves of the connector, while ensuring the ignition was switched off and keys out.

Looking into the lower half of the connector I could see that it was a bit corroded, as if water-damaged. I then sprayed a good amount of WD-40 inside (using the straw in the nozzle of the spray for better coverage), particularly into the holes which house the thick white wire, in both halves, allowing to run into the holes and wiring (for about 5 seconds), then let the excess run out again.I then done the same for the top connector, i.e. spraying some in which run out itself again.

As I had a little trouble re-connecting the two-halves again, I give the entire housing a quick tug off the side so that I was holding the whole connector (with wiring-loom) in my hand. This made it easier to insert the two halves again, ensuring tightly inserted - before popping the housing back on.
Started the engine and pressed the switch and `hey presto`, the rear demister was working 100% once and for all.

I then simply popped the plastic panel (along the side) back on.

So basically, if you're having problems with your own demister (rear window heater), check these two connections (boot and front-passenger area), considering WD-40 and if that fails then just by-pass the connection/s in the front and/or boot after first checking your fuse and relay of course...

Good Luck!!

Back