RENAULT MEGANE 52 REG, COMPLETELY DEAD, any idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone would be able to help me.

I was driving my Megane (52 Plate) on dual carriageway, stopped on traffic lights..put back in gear and the car started juddering (as if run out of petrol) and it got stuck in middle of dual carriage way (at midnight). Anyway, engine wouldn’t start now and it is completely dead. No battery probs as all lights/radio works fine. Called RAC guy and the car wouldn’t move an inch to be towed. He thinks the gearbox is knackered and hence it’s stuck. He managed to tow me anyway back home, car now lying on driveway. The car has only done about 50k on clock, surely gearbox aren’t that fragile??? If it is gearbox issue than why wouldn’t the engine start, atleast? Always had starting prob from day one. By the way display does not show any warning lights apart from Service, which was on before due to immobiliser probs (i been told). Any suggestions guy?

Thanks for your helping advance.

Jav

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, sorry for the delay.

Its a 1.4 Petrol. On the diplay its showing Airbag & Service error and says "Steering Not Locked" which is right. It wouldnt lock the steering even when the car is locked.

I also forgot to mention that the gear jumps offs from 2nd gear to neutral when driving....I've asked couple of mechanics and they reckon it may be gearbox....would cost around £400-£500 :(

Sponsored Links
I have also checked to start the car about 30 mins ago and yes it works. I can drive :)

However the error still remains and the gear still jumps offs 2nd gear.

I am not using the car (too scared) in case it leaves me stranded AGAIN!!

If the car can't be towed at all, then the gearbox has locked up, unfortunately...if it was an engine problem then you could tow the car either in neutral or with the clutch pedal down. However, you now say that the car has freed itself and is once again mobile? Thats bizarre at least, and I wouldn't like to trust it. However, these cars have cable gear linkages and their adjustment is critical so you may ask Renault to check this out before deciding what to do. Personally I think the box locked up because it was trying to select two gears at once. 50k should be nothing for any gearbox really - unless you have an ex driving school car, or one that was once owned by Hertz or some rental company. Good luck! Cheers John

Jumping out of gear could be the dog bone shape mount at the rear of the box worn allowing excessive movement.
Or it could be a worn selector fork inside the box :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back