Renault megane shuddering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could someone give me peace of mind, today i bought a renault megane 05, 1.6 convertible. On my way home with it, it was driving great, but as i was a couple of miles from my house the engine management light came on flashing and the car started to shudder, i pulled in and turned the ignition off and kept it off for a few minutes, i turned it back on and started to drive again the engine was gritty is the best way to describe it, the management light came back on and its still shuddering, i live 50 miles from the dealer and i have rang him and he is bringing a mechanic tomorrow, but i just wanted a bit of piece of mind that its a common fault with renaults, and not something more serious.
Gareth

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that a coil pack has packed in...these are the things that produce a high voltage spark to the 4 plugs.
If the engine is bouncing about, its a sure sign of this.
Each plug has its own coil - one of Renaults big failings!
Do post back with the result.
John :)

Thanks so much. Yes the engine is shaking when idling, is that what u mean
I would imagine that a coil pack has packed in...these are the things that produce a high voltage spark to the 4 plugs.
If the engine is bouncing about, its a sure sign of this.
Each plug has its own coil - one of Renaults big failings!
Do post back with the result.

Yes, thats about it....the engine should idle smoothly but if one or more coil packs are down the engine jumps around and generally sounds unhappy. The management light will be on too, and the mechanic will need to cancel this when the job is done.
Enjoy your new motor - its going to be a red hot summer in Ireland :p

Sponsored Links
Back