Renault Megane - Starting problem - coils?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is an Expression 2001 1.6 automatic. I've read other topics here on this, and it sounds like the starting problem is the coils, EXCEPT... that, once started, it drives very well. Wouldn't a coil problem cause misfiring etc when it was running?
It used to start v easily, but gradually has got worse. Keeping the engine turning when starting it doesn't usually work, but turning it off, waiting, then trying again does work - eventually, it starts as soon as the key is turned. Then it runs fine, apart from dying occasionally (once a week?) at low revs, eg at traffic lights.
Do you think this is the coils? Is it easy to test them? I can't really get the AA out, as it does start.
Thanks,
Graham Rounce

Sponsored Links
If it's problems starting from cold then the first thing to change would be the engine coolant temp sensor as this controls the fuelling side of things.

>If it's problems starting from cold then the first thing to change would be the engine coolant temp sensor as this controls the fuelling side of things.

Thanks - I'll give it a try, anyway. Would you say the coils are ruled out, then? (As it runs well when it starts?).
Thanks again,

BTW, the Haynes book says that a little light should come on if the coolant temp sensor is faulty. I'll have a look in the manual to see just where it should be, but I haven't noticed anything.

Sponsored Links
Dont rule out anything at this stage!
Was just advising on the cheapest and easiest route to start with

Hi - It doesn't seem to make that much difference whether it's cold or hot, but it is worse in the mornings (and gradually getting even worse). This morning I thought it wasn't going to start. So I will change the coolant sensor. Can anyone recommend an online source?
Thank-you,

PS _ It looks like I might as well replace the "top dead sensor" at the same time. Is that what it's actually called?
Ta again.

renaukts like the peougot have a common alarm problem,

does it have remote locking? if so does it start if you unlock and lock doors each time via remote.

could be a long shot but it is common

Thanks to all who helped. It was the "Flywheel Sensor" as the garage called it (I'm guessing it's the same thing as the the Top Dead Sensor?), although the computer said 'No fault'. £45 from from Renault Main Dealer - not a free replacement as one might expect, but at least the guy said it had been improved. Now it starts perfectly.
Thanks again to all,

Hi i bought my gf a x-mas present a 1998 Megane Coupe 1.6 E with 115K on the clock.

Car was very well looked after, full service history, new cam belt, new coil, new tyres etc.

Test drove for several miles was fine, took it home kept it for a week and started every morning was fine.

However i got a new job so i moved the megane one morning and left the headlights on by mistake. So the battery went flat. Called RAC jump started it and it started third time. he said run it for atleast 1 hour which i did. Next morning car is dead again.

AA came and said battery is fine as i bought a new one and they said return it.Car jump started when rolled NOT when they put normal jump leads!

i need HELP ASAP. When i start the car the immobiliser works, the lights work and no problems at all inside i even re-set the immobiliser but when i start the car it does not even turn over! NOTHING just one click and that is it!!!!!

PLEASEEEE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way the megane was not my fault my gf loves them i done buy any Euro Crap i stick to good old American, Swedish or Jap cars!

Sponsored Links
Back