Renault megane starting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wont start when cold. When i turn the key nothing happens the dash lights and all the electrics come on but it doesn't even turn over. After a bump start and run for a while it seems to start ok but when left for a while to cool same problem occurs. This is a 2002 coupe cabriolet. Please help as its already cost me the best part of £2000 fixing the power hood door and ariel. lol Cheers Paul

Sponsored Links
Yeah but wouldnt the dash lights and other electrics be affected if this was the case??
Plus had the AA out to it and they tested the battery and said it was in good condition :cry:

It doesn't take much power to make all the dash lights come on. What happens when you turn the key to the start position, does the starter engage? Does it try to turn over?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't take much power to make all the dash lights come on. What happens when you turn the key to the start position, does the starter engage? Does it try to turn over?

No not a sound doesnt click turn or anything?

Loose/faulty wiring, faulty starter motor, dodgy fuse, dodgy ignition barrel, immobiliser. Bad earth to the engine block.
I'd start by getting in there with a volt meter and see if there is 12v at the coil when the ignition key is turned.

If the AA say the battery is good, i'd take the terminals off and give them a good clean. This time of year you get a hard white coating on the inside of the clamps which can do screwy things like starting problems

Sponsored Links
Back