Render Not Sticking To Reveals After Window Replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago, I helped the brother in law to install a couple of UPVC windows to replace old wooden ones. As usual, the rendering on the reveals had to be removed to make this possible.

I left him to make good, but he has since said that he can't get the render to stick to the brickwork reveals. I'm not sure what materials he used, but would appreciate any tips. Eg, is it recommended to PVA the brickwork first?

Thanks for any advice, as I'm going around to see what a dog's breakfast he's made of it this weekend and hope to help him finish it.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that the original render was applied in one hit and subsequently set as a one piece render with no joins. Its strength was in the large mass of render.

What there is now is a joined on bit with no strength. As soon as the window flexes with any thermal movement, that render is gonna pop.

Apply plenty of water and don't fuss with it too much.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I now understand the problem. Would it help to screw some of that metal mesh that reinforces render edges to the brickwork to help with grip? Use some washers so that the mesh stands a few mms off surface of bricks? I'm thinking that something that gives mechanical grip would be a big help.

When I say mesh, I mean just the flat mesh, not the reinforced corner part.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for the tips. I now understand the problem. Would it help to screw some of that metal mesh that reinforces render edges to the brickwork to help with grip? Use some washers so that the mesh stands a few mms off surface of bricks? I'm thinking that something that gives mechanical grip would be a big help.

When I say mesh, I mean just the flat mesh, not the reinforced corner part.
Yes, as long as you can get decent coverage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back