Render staining, build design fault or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

After some advice.

My render has terrible staining after it rains. It is Green, Black, Red, and rusty colour.
Is this due to faulty render?
Render not applied correctly?
Lead not treated on the ledge?
No draining on the ledge?

I have looked at other houses all within 100 metres of mine. They are older than mine and all face the same way. They have only minor dirt stains. I took some pictures to compare just after it finished raining.

My house.

1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 8 (2).JPG

Nearby houses.

7.JPG 8.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

Sponsored Links
Bri44, good evening.

In images 3, 4, 5, posted, the ones that are close ups, appear to indicate what was a common problem in Scotland which is that the sand used in the render mix contained a form of Coal? it is called Lignite or "soft coal" or " brown coal"

If you have a close look, at the images, you will see a small dot of [fairly] intense black spot, from this [spot] there is a downward triangle of a dark colour.

What is happening is that there is a tiny inclusion of lignite, this material is being "attacked" by the rain water, the lignite being very soft will "bleed out" and cause the triangular staining on the surface of the render. The staining is persistent and will not wash off with more rain.

Ken

Thanks for the reply Ken. Is there any fix for this?
The developer has said they are going to repair cracks, clean render and then paint it.
Not sure if this will prevent the cracking and staining in the near future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back