Rendering an old garden wall???? - with pictures....

Sponsored Links
It is a 4" wall - only 1 brick thick.

It goes up to two bricks thick only where those buttresses are.

This is why I am concerned about the missing pointing, in places on my side it has fallen out to a depth of an inch or more so there is effectively only 2-3" holding the wall upright. I think in this condition it will start to lean and then fall over.

You can't cut out the spalled bricks without damaging the rendering then.
Probably best to re-point it and see what it looks like.
Rendering often fails on old brickwork. If it does fail and crack you can't go back to the face work, whereas if you re-point and don't like it you can always render it.
If I was going to use render I would probably pebble dash it.
Cracked rendered garden walls look a mess, whereas old damaged face brick walls can add character to the garden.

I thought it was a 9" wall by the first post saying it is one brick thick, its actually 1/2 brick thick

You can't cut out the spalled bricks without damaging the rendering then.
Probably best to re-point it and see what it looks like.
Rendering often fails on old brickwork. If it does fail and crack you can't go back to the face work, whereas if you re-point and don't like it you can always render it.
If I was going to use render I would probably pebble dash it.
Cracked rendered garden walls look a mess, whereas old damaged face brick walls can add character to the garden.

Agree

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a good course of action - I guess the re pointing needs doing whatever the final outcome.

The job is going to be delayed now as when I was removing the soil piled up against the wall I accidentally disturbed an old well, complete with about 8ft of crystal clear water!
:LOL:

If you render a damp wall, which has blown bricks etc , its a bit like adding two (or three) sheets of glass. Each one is not moisture permiable and with capillary action, any one will draw water up and come off in time.
Better to add a breathable lime base render, and I saw a good version on youtube whilst looking for the same answer for a house wall.
stone wall coating, stucco, grand designs I think.
They actuially finished the wall to look like bricks too???

Dan.

To me that wall is a selling point. If it is original it's condition would not de-value your home. Personally I think it looks great and agree with those that advise you to try repointing first. If you render and it fails imagine how the remaining render will spoil it .... and all the work involved in removing it.

Give it a service..... it deserves one!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back