rendering concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i want to render an external concrete block wall i have built, what mix do i use ? its a cavity wall so do i need to add a waterproofer ? how long between coats ?
also i was wondering if i used a 5;1 mix for the blockwork would a stronger mix of render have any effect on the blocks in any way as that mix could be stronger ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
1: how long have the concrete blocks been exposed to the elements?
2: is there any organic material growing on them? (ie, moss,algae,ivy)
3: is there any cracks in the mortor joints or split blocks?
4: the cavity, does it have insulation?
5: is there a dpc?
answer these 5 questions and i can help you, ok? :)

most the tme i use a 5/1 base coat and 611 top coat
use a dash of waterproofer in the base coat if your going to s/c it
why not use weber
use a weber rend-aid then OCR over the top

Sponsored Links
I hate giving advice or pricing on the phone unless I have a complete picture and yes im demanding 

hi, walls are just built, so no moss etc on em, no splits or cracks, 50mm full fill cavity with knauf waterproof insulation, dpc at start of first block so i will leave a small gap from top of dpc to start of render.
wall is only 2.1 m high by 3 m so not big
hope thats enough info ?
also do i have to pva wall first as some say do , others say dont ?
cheers
ps i have not done render before, but have plastered a little, wall is not on show so can be a little un -neat

your gooner **** it up :eek: #
best thing too do is then m8 if youv never renderd
use waber OCR its a one coat render mixed like plaster
mix it up get it on and finish how the **** you like m8
theres going too be less chances of you ****ing that up like s/c

by the way to all regular posters if no ones realised plstring loooooves webber, he sleeps with a bag in his bed haha :LOL: :LOL:

the webber is nice mate ive only used it once and it wernt a large area but compared to the s/c i usually use it was pukka.
i reckon plstrng is a secret salesman for webber and gets commission for every mention he makes haha :LOL:

ha ha ha
weber
weber
weber
weber
weber
weber
weber
weber
im rich now on to krend
krend
krend
krend
krend
krend
krend

its creamy soft light to work with easy to mix looks sexy
need i go on

now go buy some

Weber is easy to use but if you are adamant it s/c then NO PVA, 4:1 mix with waterproofer. Give it a day or two to stop the joints ghosting through, bell cast bead above Dom (build out with the scratch coat) key it up also.
Then 5:1:1 sand cement and HYDRATED lime, put a tight coat on it, then another coat a little thicker, edge it up both ways and put your drip on. Will always start to pull in at the top so don't check the middle of the wall to decide when to start floating, use you urethane float (or wood) and start where you started putting on. Float in a circular motion closing up the aggregate in tbe sand and filling any holes you missed edging it. Work your way down until you have closed it all up and it looks smooth, then take a car sponge, drown it in water first then squeeze it out till it's nearly dry ( makes sense in my head) lol then lightly rub the sponge in a circular motion taking out any imperfections, rinse the sponge regularly. Or use weber lmfao

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back