Rendering fallen off

J

Johnmelad502

Any suggestions on how I can fix this wall. I think the problem was caused by damp and I'm not sure that it can be dried out as I think the back of the wall (beneath patio) is in contact with earth.

Can it be sealed and then rendered?

Sponsored Links
So they rendered a (porous) concrete block retaining wall. I wonder what they thought would happen to the water.
A fine example of a bad idea.
As you say, it'll never dry out, and it needs to "breathe".

Now that the surface is so badly damaged (would that be too strong a mix, or the water trapped behind the render freezing and breaking up the block?) perhaps the best bet is to clad it - fix battens then add the cladding. The wall can then still ooze, but the water pressure won't build up.

Sponsored Links
Hi - this looks similar to our house but is all over! - its a stone and brick house and the builder rendered over the pre-existing pebble dash also. It is severely cracked from top to bottom and sounds hollow in several places and the internal side is leaching damp wet patches.

We intend to stip it back off again ourselves over the summer but having made a start we know see that the pebble dash is actually a kind of sprayed on white plasic coat (this being layer 3 of many others) and having finally found the actual wall beneath it is a single brick! - now we are a bit worried if the house wall fall down if we take off all the layers.?!

The plan is, or was, to strip off the layers and then reseal the bricks before either re-rendering or might need another wall? And, the other parts of the house are stone, being about 180 - 230 years old there is no foundation or damp proof. Any advice greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back