Rendering outside of my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am after getting the front of my house rendered.
Now obviously normal plaster is no good so what do i need and do plasterers charge more for this?
Any info would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
hi mate alot of plasterers dont do rendering. sand and cement is used and pva some people put lime in the mix not all if you upload a picture or two and the square meterage ill give you an idea of what is charged in bradford where i live hope this helps

hi mate alot of plasterers dont do rendering. sand and cement is used and pva some people put lime in the mix not all if you upload a picture or two and the square meterage ill give you an idea of what is charged in bradford where i live hope this helps

If they don't do rendering ,they are not plasterers!!

Sponsored Links
If they don't do rendering ,they are not plasterers!![/quote]

so a sixty year old plasterer that doesnt feel able to climb up and down ladders onto scaffolding who is time served and been skimming for 45 years aint a plasterer mmmmm let me think i was referring to two spreads i know that dont do rendering and im sure there are plenty more like that about

Advancemaintenance1 wrote:
so a sixty year old plasterer that doesnt feel able to climb up and down ladders onto scaffolding who is time served and been skimming for 45 years aint a plasterer mmmmm let me think i was referring to two spreads i know that dont do rendering and im sure there are plenty more like that about

I'm with Roy 100% on this one fella. A "real plasterer" is an all rounder,,, taught to do: plastering, rendering, screeding, roughcast, tyrolean, skimming, tiling, etc. In my younger days,, :rolleyes: when a person applied for a job as a plasterer with a firm, it was "expected" of you, to be able/competent, to do any/all of these different skills of the plastering trade. Many people nowadays can "skim", but they are not "real plasterers" as such, but then everybody has to learn. They are than able to earn a living, but the type of work they are able to take on will be limited.

Im not a plasterer and I dont do rendering.....

But you are able to make a living out of what you do, (plastering), and going by your replies on here John,, you're competent at what you do, and i enjoy reading your very helpful comments/advice. ;)

the trades all ready been split in my op my firm dosnt expect its internal lads to go outside,and dosnt expect its renderers to go skimming,you dont even need internal work to get a skills card,your called an external plasterer as most of the outside lads i work with are and couldnt skim to save there lives.

Also be aware of this;
http://www.ambervalley.gov.uk/NR/rd...-825C-BA199604EB23/0/Rooftilesinformation.pdf
Rendering the outside of a property is pretty visible so if it gets spotted, you may just open up a whole can of worms; it's happened. ;)

I'm curious on this - for the pro plasterers (inc rendering - r/c!)....
If you quote for a job that will re-do a large %age either inside or out, do you advise a building notice is likely or is it up to the customer?

Having had a bit of work done at home, I've tried to ensure that I'm covered from an LABC point of view and sorted a couple of building notices.
But when asking for quotes, no-one ever said the work I was asking for was notifiable.

I'm not sure if this applies in Scotland.
Last year,, my son and myself prepped and block paved the whole of their front garden. We mentioned to the local authority that there were new regulations regarding the use of block paving,,, water run off/public drains etc. We were told it didn't apply up here,, could be the same with render or plaster, but i would need to check just in case.

I'm curious on this - for the pro plasterers (inc rendering - r/c!)....
If you quote for a job that will re-do a large %age either inside or out, do you advise a building notice is likely or is it up to the customer?

Having had a bit of work done at home, I've tried to ensure that I'm covered from an LABC point of view and sorted a couple of building notices.
But when asking for quotes, no-one ever said the work I was asking for was notifiable.

Unless they are very conscientious, it’s unfortunate that many “builders” are unlikely to advise of compliance or even the very existence of BR’s even if they are aware. There is no onus on them to do so & if they quote fully BR compliant, the extra cost may mean they won’t get the work! Notifying LABC & compliance with BR’s is the sole responsibility of the property owner but I believe this is totally unfair. The ever increasing complexity of BR’s since 2002 means they affect almost any building works you can think of but I think it’s totally wrong that someone involved the building trade has absolutely no obligation to comply with or even advise their client of the existence of BR’s. I’m not a lover of the ever increasing “Prescott” derived legislation since 2002 &, IMO, we have way too much of it. I certainly would not like to see general building works go the same way as gas has gone & that electrics is moving towards (but risk wise understandable) & it’s “caveat emptor”. Other than education, I don’t know the answer or how to protect the inocent/gullible/ignorant/stupid against honestly unaware trades persons (but they really shouldn't be) or outright cowboys that only want yur cash & really don't give a toss what problems they leave you with; one of the reasons I bang on about BR’s so much! :rolleyes:

the trades all ready been split in my op my firm dosnt expect its internal lads to go outside,and dosnt expect its renderers to go skimming,you dont even need internal work to get a skills card,your called an external plasterer as most of the outside lads i work with are and couldnt skim to save there lives.
i agree with external the trade has been split fragmented if you like, ive said this before there are renderers, screeders, tilers, dryliners, partitioners or tackers or dot & dabbers what ever you want to call them, & skimmers, also now you have people who just specialize in machine plastering or rendering, and rendering itself is being called just that "rendering" as i have seen jobs advertised as just renderer wanted not plasterer,
plastering today is not like it was years ago, i was taught in all these fields but not to the but not to the standard of the old plasterers apprentice, i was taught the basics of all of them and have proceeded to master a few of them i haven't got much render under my belt but does that mean im not a plasterer? i also agree with roughcaster that the work you can do is limited not having mastered them all, but there is work out there for the plasterer or so called plasterer to make a living with what ever plastering skills he has mastered indeed there are spreads out there just making a good living out of skimming with there names on there van and everything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back