Rendering outside of my house

There is a fair bit of grey in this!

While I agree that plasterers etc should have some knowledge of regs, I don't think the onus should be on them to make sure they are compliant.

To stretch the point a bit - If I take my car to the garage to get it fixed, the garage doesn't check if I am insured to drive, have a licence, MOT or indeed own the car. (If I have an illegal tyre, they will tell me, but they won't force me to change it and will let me back out on the road.) The customer asks for a service, and it is provided.

When I used to build extensions, an architect (and engineer ) drew up and or okayed the plans. If we fell foul of anything, their insurance was in place to cover them. That is why I paid them.

If as a plasterer I am asked to plaster an extension inside and out, I am going to assume that it has been built to building regs and got PP if appropriate. I would not feel any way obliged to independently make sure it had been before I rendered it.

However -
,as part of being a professional, in the conversation as part of the process when pricing - did you have any trouble getting PP, has the Building Inspector been out to check? What did the council/local authority say when you asked them about ....? Do they need to check your insulation before tacking the ceiling ? etc

As a plasterer I don't feel the need to be up to speed with it all, that is beyond the scope of the job - but I do agree fully that the client should be asked if checks have been made with the relevant authorities ie the onus is on them to do so. You can only take them at their word if they have.

I have walked away from jobs in the past for similar reasons (I did not want to be associated with them) but I would find it hard condemn anyone for just doing a job that they were asked to do.

Sponsored Links
Im not a plasterer and I dont do rendering.....

But you are able to make a living out of what you do, (plastering), and going by your replies on here John,, you're competent at what you do, and i enjoy reading your very helpful comments/advice. ;)

Thanks, and actually i am not a plasterer, although I am going to do my first paid job next week, well i say paid job, i am charging £70 to create a dropped ceiling, insulate, board and skim it is a bargain, although it's for my uncle and i like to help out close friends and family. By day I am supposed to be an electrician but there is far too much competition where I live and i have gone from getting 100% of jobs I quote for to getting maybe 5/10%, I have lost both employee's and now work on my own, I find myself doing kitchens bathrooms, plumbing ( obv not gas) carpentry and have spent the last 4 weeks painting and decorating *yawn* I have done some small rerufb projects before and LOVE doing them as the work is so varied!

Anyhow, you chaps on this forum are a fountain of knowledge and owe all of my latest advancments in my plastering ventures to you all, my main reason for learning to skim is because I am trying to completly renovate a house for my, the misses and our 6 month boy to live in and cant afford to pay anyone to do anything and I dont liek to rely on favours, i know i have kind of hi-jacked this thread and gone off on hell of a tangent but would like to say thanks to all you guys and to the OP - hell i cant even remember what your queation was, sorry! :D :) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back