Rendering over marine ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.
Half my house is made of timber frame with asbestos 8x4 pannels on the outside the joins in the pannels have planks over them to give a cottage with beams effect on the walls.
I'm removing the asbestos and replacing with 12mm marine ply. I'm hopeing someone might be able to help with how to finish the boards off. I dont want to put the timbers back over all the joints. would like to do the tyrolean gun effect but am not shure if i need something like chicken wire stapled to the plywood to stop it all cracking off. any info would be great please.
regards mark

Sponsored Links
Have you consulted your Local Authority Building Control about this work? Have you submitted a Building Notice to cover this work? Have you asked your LA if you need Planning Permission (although unlikely)?

Hi Richard.
Yes in triplicate and have kept hard copies on paper, secured in the maximilion vault in switzerland. but just in case the bank goes down i also put a copy in a fireproof safe and burried it under the foundations for my garage. Thank you for your help.
Back on subject.
Any advice on rendering over plywood and making the joins in the board so they wont crack the render would be FAB virgil.. whayyy cheers chaps..

Hi Richard. Yes in triplicate and have kept hard copies on paper, secured in the maximilion vault in switzerland. but just in case the bank goes down i also put a copy in a fireproof safe and burried it under the foundations for my garage. Thank you for your help.
Back on subject.
Any advice on rendering over plywood and making the joins in the board so they wont crack the render would be FAB virgil.. whayyy cheers chaps..

Simple questions just trying to avoid you the grief of making the same mistakes others have :rolleyes: Sarcasm really wasn't called for but I suppose it sort of fits your handle; I won't continue with any advice & I really do hope your render ends up on the floor which could well be the least of your problems; bye ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard.
Thats Brilliant thank you, I apreciate you not offering me any more off topic advice. I was just trying to make you aware that you were waisting your time informing me about planning, building controle etc when i posted in the plastering rendering section. If i have any planning questions ill post them there.
I supose it's a bit like me asking in the electrical forum if i can put a 100w energy bulb in my celing rose and someone replying, Make sure you dig a hole outside to check the depth of your foundations first. maybee not. hummm i think i maybee over medicated at the moment. I apreciate you taking the time to reply but it just wasent anything to do with what i wanted to know. so im just pionting out what a waste of your time it was and i wouldent want that. but thats great you wont be offering me any more advice. ill let you know if the render falls off.
all the best mark

i've thought long and hard about rendering over ply, but every thought experiment saw the render cracking and falling off.
- expansion of the ply due to moisture, flex, etc etc

However I've given it a go in an internal kitchen cupboard just for the heck of it :D

1st step thompsons waterseal all over the ply including edges if possible and behind. screw in a load of galvanised screws every 10 cm, 3/4 the height of the evental render coats, run nylon string in a random pattern round the screw heads, tight as a poss. 3 coats of SBR -primer intermediate and pva style 'tacky' coat ...and on it goes

so far so good with mine but as you're outside it will be seriously tested, maybe another coat of sbr when finished would help.

b/

Hi bananaspark,
Thanks very much for the reply and info. hummmm, sounds like i could make a pigs ear of quite easilly. Reckon ill have a look into some flexible exterior paint that will stipple on.
Was thinking about parkhomes, they usually have a heavilly stippled coating on the outside and there made of plywood, wonder how they get away with covering the joins up. hummmm, will think about this one dont want the lot falling off.
Thanks again bananaspark.
all the best mark

try battens instead of ply or even over ply. fix ss eml with ss screws to battens then 3:1 over eml. 4:1 scratch 5:1:1 floating.

we have succesfully rendered over ply for 10 years. get some roofing membrane, breathable, metal lath, rib lath uses less covercoat and don't use sand and cement (which is concrete), Search Decopierre for samples.
:rolleyes:

Hi clout stench,
Thanks for the info, sounds a bit beyond my skill level that one. think ill need something easier. Cheers Matey.
Hi Oldbutgood,
Brillo, Cheers fer that, great, im cooking now. That sounds just the ticket. Im hoping to roller the finish. Brilliant stuff cheers Chaps.
all the best mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back