Rendering query (internal wall now becoming external wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a little complicated!

We've just had our L-shaped conservatory knocked down and it's in the process of being replaced by a rectangular conservatory. So, the walls (one of which is the rear wall of the garage) that were once part of the L-shape are now on the outside and exposed to the weather (see photo attached). The door that used to be in the back of the garage is to be re-instated.
It's proved impossible to remove all of the plaster from these walls to expose the original bricks and so it seems the only way forward is to render (or clad) them. The other difficulty is that the lead flashing left behind from the original conservatory roof is also proving difficult to remove (at least the bitumen is). Our next door neighbours house (which is link detached to ours) already has rendered walls on the top half.
I'm totally unsure as to whether I will require Building Regs for rendering these two sections of wall and whether it matters that the render would be higher than the base of our neighbours render (so as to cover where the bitumen remains). Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

IMG_2761.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the area of new cladding or render exceeds 50% of the elevation the work will require B Regs.
Personally I would not include the area of the garage wall when calculating this if it is an unheated space, but a more pedantic BCO may take a different view.

If the area of new cladding or render exceeds 50% of the elevation the work will require B Regs
It requires that it is "considered", in terms of savings over the payback period, not just a blanket application.

But clearly it's not greater than trigger area in any case, and not even a pedantic BCO would count the garage, not because he's pedantic, but because it would be wrong - the requirement is not to insulate an unheated space.

Sponsored Links
proving difficult to remove (at least the bitumen is)
I'm not sure if meths or white spirit works, but otherwise you'll need a solvent and there are proprietary solvents that works well

It requires that it is "considered", in terms of savings over the payback period, not just a blanket application.
For all this is in the guidance, I have yet to hear of a single instance where anyone has ever presented evidence of this since this was implemented.
But clearly it's not greater than trigger area in any case, and not even a pedantic BCO would count the garage, not because he's pedantic, but because it would be wrong - the requirement is not to insulate an unheated space.
Sticking to the guidance, the garage should should be taking into consideration, the 50% rule is more about the practicalities of carrying out the work as the greater the area that is to be rendered the more practical it is to insulate, the guidance makes no differentiation as to whether its a heated space or not. A pragmatic approach is to ignore the garage area, but not everyone will take that approach, believe me I've worked with plenty! If the garage area were taken into consideration then we are into the realms of a B reg app.

For all this is in the guidance, I have yet to hear of a single instance where anyone has ever presented evidence of this since this was implemented.
You won't and never will, if the consideration is done before deciding whether an application is required or not! The only way you would see it is if you investigated a potential breach of building regulations and the homeowner passed it to you to support their non-application.

Unheated garages are not included in the requirement because, not only is that completely contrary to the point of conserving fuel and power and Part L generally, but you can't improve the insulation value of an unheated garage - so not even any need for the consideration or calculation.

You won't and never will, if the consideration is done before deciding whether an application is required or not! The only way you would see it is if you investigated a potential breach of building regulations and the homeowner passed it to you to support their non-application.
No never been done, and we used to have over 3000 B reg applications a year, never on a single occasion has it been done, and for information I can be pretty confident I've investigated more breaches of B Regs than you ever have. It was brought up at a seminar I attended, "On how many occasions have you seen this done", not a single hand was raised by over a 100 BCO's in attendance, that's the reality.
Unheated garages are not included in the requirement because, not only is that completely contrary to the point of conserving fuel and power and Part L generally, but you can't improve the insulation value of an unheated garage - so not even any need for the consideration or calculation.
No it shouldn't be, but as I said some authorities will take a different view, usually because of a pedantic manager, unfortunately its the BCO's at the lower level that have to ask for it in full knowledge its wrong, it happens more often than you think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back