Rendering rsj

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
As title says. 2 rsjs on a blocked gabled wall that will need rendering. What's best method of filling the rsj out for rendering plus rendering the underside of them. Will render be enough to stop them rusting.

Sponsored Links

Suggest you Google fire protection of steel beams, or encasing Steel beams?

Ken

2019 good morning.

Are you contemplating applying cement render direct to the steel RSJ?

Ken

Sponsored Links
I have rendered rsj's with tight fitting timber blocks into the web and then fixing stainless wire mesh to the blocks. You will need to shot fire the mesh to the underside unless you have enough clearance to fix battens to the timber blocks flush with the underside and then fix another batten across the underside.

2019 good morning.

Are you contemplating applying cement render direct to the steel RSJ?

Ken

I am looking for information on how to render over them. Surely there's a method since rsjs are used in rendered buildings

I have rendered rsj's with tight fitting timber blocks into the web and then fixing stainless wire mesh to the blocks. You will need to shot fire the mesh to the underside unless you have enough clearance to fix battens to the timber blocks flush with the underside and then fix another batten across the underside.

Your saying, inside the i part of the RSJ, install some timber and shot fire some wire mesh over the underdiun of it then float with render.

2019, good evening.

OK, cement mortar is difficult to get to adhere to steel, then as the cement dries it will simply fall of, and any that remains will fall of because Steel and Cement expand and contract at violently different rates.

Hence the link I advised where for Fire proofing, possibly not the end result you are seeking can be found, as ajstoneservices posted above.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back