Renovated kitchen: Is a Mains-powered fire alarm obligatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just renovated my kitchen, last time it was renovated was in 2006ish by the previous owner, and the house is from 1972ish
Does it require a mains-powered fire alarm?
I have already plastered and painted the ceiling, and installed new cabinets, and rewired everything, and only now realised this could be a requirement.
The electrician that came to certify it is telling me it is. Is he right? Will I have to chase a wall and ceiling to accommodate it?
:(
The renovation consisted of changing a door and window, relocating the sink and plumbing, relocating wires/sockets, knocking down a stud wall (now it's an open plan kitchen) and fitting new cabinets.
Before the renovation, there were just battery-operated fire alarms in the house.

AFAIK now, the regulation talks something about substantially altered dwellings requiring a mains-powered alarm, but does not define what falls into this category of alterations.

The house is in Leicester and I am not landlord

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The Building Regulations:

upload_2022-2-10_19-50-25.png

ozasco, good evening.

OK first up, I am unsure of English Regs.

Up here as of 4/2/22 it is the law that you must have fitted
1/ Heat detector in the Kitchen.
2/. Smoke detector / alarm in the room you live in most.
3/. Smoke detector / alarm in all hallways [ground / first Etc]

These devices must be either hard wired, OR?? have 10 Year sealed batteries,
The three above MUST be wireless interlinked, NOT WiFi.

It is not a requirement that a CO detector is linked into the above [minimum 3 units]

There will not be any enforcement of the above by the local authority.

Ken

Thank you guys
You are giving me more confidence to challenge him a bit
Of course, I am concerned about the safety of my family, about my house insurance, about selling the property in the future, etc.
But it looks like can have something wireless and good enough for the moment until I can afford to improve it and be up to date with any best practices.

Sponsored Links
The Scottish regulations do not apply in England and there is nothing similar.

Ken: Have you done all the properties in Scotland yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back