Renovating 80s flat with rusty cold tank and storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would be pleased to be offered any advice on how to proceed. Gas is not an option in this building I am afraid.

This 80s two bed flat has two storage heaters (one livingroom one hall) an old copper hot water cylinder and a rather rusty looking metal cold water tank above it. Electric panel heaters elsewhere.

This flat is going to be rented out by me. It is of concrete construction but I think there may be some kind of thin joists with plywood on top, so maybe a bit under floor depth (not too sure as yet...)

I'm thinking it would be nice to have more modern heat and hot water but not sure I want the likes of an electric combi!

Should I maybe just keep my heating, fit a more modern emmersion tank and maybe do away with the cold storage tank.

I really don't know whats best but I imagine some of you will get the idea of the age/type of flat and know what good and cost effective

Sponsored Links
If it's a flat and you can't have gas I'd stick with what you've got for the heating, provided it passes the electrical inspection.

A new hot water cylinder would be cheaper to run, but if your tenants are paying the bills are you going to see a return on your investment in replacing it?

Would probably be worth doing away with the rusty cold tank and replacing it with a plastic one

You have to give prospective tenants an EPC now.

If the hot water cylinder isn't factory insulated with foam it should probably be replaced, preferably with one with two immersions for off-peak and boost use, and the tank above it.

As well as potentially being more economical to run, 2 immersions on separate feeds gives you a bit of a back-up if one fails.

If the mains water pressure and flow is good then consider an unvented cylinder, but this does require an annual maintenance check. It can however give a significatly better shower than an instant electric shower, which may be an attraction if letting to professional flat-share who all want showers in the morning.

Thanks v much for replies

In reply to both what is the point in a seperate cold water cylinder? Why not just mains...

Re shower and 2nd reply. Do you mean a shower pump rather than an electric shower?

Sponsored Links
A cold water tank is required if the mains water pressure/flow is insufficient.

Cold water tanks and hot water cylinders fitted in flats are often not ideal for a pumped shower as they're too small and the pump will empty the cylinder too quickly.

An unvented cylinder provides mains pressure hot water to a mixer shower.

Keep the storage heaters - even if not working, they can be repaired at a fraction of the cost of new ones.

All other forms of electric heating will cost substantially more to run, including overpriced radiators sold by manufacturers who claim big savings.

Electric combis / boilers are total madness. Vastly expensive to buy and even more to actually use.

Thanks for replies. It is a bit tricky to know what's best. My uncle has a couple of flats with the following. Please let me know thoughts on this.

A zip aqua point water heater to feed kitchen sink and bathroom sink and an electric shower. I would need to lose the bath but most people a)shower and b)won't want to run or wait for emmersion to have a bath. My mains pressure seems good so I assume I could do away with the cold tank.

If you have an electric shower, it seems a bit crazy to heat a big cylinder if it's only for kitchen sink/bathroom sink.

Think it looks like keeping storage heaters but I will look at what might be good to supplement them to replace the pretty ancient panel heaters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back