1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Renovating a 1930’s bay window

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by RichD1, 22 May 2020.

1. RichD1

RichD1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As it says. I started cutting out a bit of rot on one side of the window cill which then turned into a complete paint strip down.

So whilst in this state I would like to explore what solutions there are to double glaze the existing window?

I was think about making new hardwood casements but the existing softwood is looking so good I was wondering what solutions there are to double glaze the existing wooden frames?

I think I will have to make new opening casements to provide effective draught proofing unless there is a long term solution to modify the existing.

2. PYE P75A

PYE P75A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not worth trying. If you are that bothered about it being single glazed get a new one ( not being funny :) )

Just cut all the rot out, replace like for like, scrape old paint off, re-putty windows and clean the glass really thoroughly.

Hope this helps.

Drop us a THANKS if this helped please.

3. RichD1

RichD1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I could do as you suggest but it would still leave me with poorly fitting opening sashes plus no improved insulation especially as these are north facing windows.

I have tried over the years to fit draught excluder but it doesn’t last very long.

Think I’m going to make new sashes from hardwood.

4. PYE P75A

PYE P75A

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fair enough, good luck with it :)

5. Sponsored Links