Renovating a 1930’s bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As it says. I started cutting out a bit of rot on one side of the window cill which then turned into a complete paint strip down.

So whilst in this state I would like to explore what solutions there are to double glaze the existing window?

I was think about making new hardwood casements but the existing softwood is looking so good I was wondering what solutions there are to double glaze the existing wooden frames?

I think I will have to make new opening casements to provide effective draught proofing unless there is a long term solution to modify the existing.

Sponsored Links
Not worth trying. If you are that bothered about it being single glazed get a new one ( not being funny :) )

Just cut all the rot out, replace like for like, scrape old paint off, re-putty windows and clean the glass really thoroughly.

Hope this helps.

Drop us a THANKS if this helped please.

I could do as you suggest but it would still leave me with poorly fitting opening sashes plus no improved insulation especially as these are north facing windows.

I have tried over the years to fit draught excluder but it doesn’t last very long.

Think I’m going to make new sashes from hardwood.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back