Renovating a Bungalow

• Thread starter Deleted member 15266
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15266

A bungalow has come up for sale near us. It's in a good area. Outwith carpets and decoration etc, which we would do anyway, it looks like it needs double glazing (wooden windows are rotted), totally new kitchen, possibly a rewire and new bathroom. Here is a link: http://www.gspc.co.uk/property/149114. I'm thinking
Double Glazing £10K
Rewire: £6K
Kitchen: £5K
Bathroom: £3K

Around £25K - does this sound right? We'd have to employ people to do this, or are we way off the mark and shouldn't touch it with a bargepole! Don't want to waste time and money on a survey if it would cost more than this to do the work (in Scotland).

Sponsored Links
Thanks steve.

Double Glazing £10K
Rewire: £6K
Kitchen: £5K
Bathroom: £3K

Your double glazing estimate seems a bit excessive, and i cant see your rewire being that expensive! kitchen and bathroom are realistic estimations.

good luck.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Estimates don't seem too far off the boil, I might have allowed a few k extra for the kitchen and it depends how carried away you want to get on the bathroom, allow an extra couple of k (if this is going to be your home for the foreseable future you may as well get it right first time.

I would recommend that if nothing else you add a contingency to your costs for any unforeseen items that creep into the picture as the work proceeds. If you add say £8k to your budget this should more than cover any unforeseen items while also allowing for a bit of extravagance to creep in (should you wish to go down that road).

Thanks so much for your replies. You guys on this site have been so helpful with everything I've done in my current house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back