Renovating leaking porch, what would be the best products?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally decided to get round to renovating my outside porch, it's got a lead roof which looks in good condition but over the years the wooden posts at either side have become wet and rotten.

I've started stripping the paint off using a heat gun and you can see over the years numerous parts of it have been replaced. As you can see from the photos the lead looks in good condition.

So I believe the water has been getting in between where the lead finishes and the wood starts.

I want to try and seal it to stop this happening so just wondering what products to use. My plan is to use a heat gun to strip the old paint, replace any wood that is too far gone, use a wood hardener then fill any gaps then paint.
Does this sound right, what would be the best filler to use, I do have a tine of 2 part wood filler but to fill all the gaps I'm going to need loads.
As you can see on the 3rd picture, my plan was to completely fill the gap between the lead and the wood as I believe this is where most of the water is getting in.
I would then need to paint the roof and wooden decorative arch in black, but I'm thinking rather than just using gloss perhaps use something like a waterproofing black paint?
I would then undercoat and gloss the white part.

Apologies for the long post but I want to take my time and do it the best I can, thanks for any advice :D

Sponsored Links
I think you should seek advice from another sub forum before you consider decorating, try the. Building or roofing forums.

Dec

You can get a big tin of easy sanding car body filler from Halfords for less than £20, and also use a polyester car body repair kit (fibreglass kit) instead of the useless wood hardener. The whole project inc paint should cost around £60 - £80.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back