Renovating/ veneering MDF trim (Fablon?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of renovating a caravan. I have had to remove a piece of damaged MDF moulding which formed a pelmut at the bottom of some cupboards. I have managed to repair the MDF itself but the oak "veneer" covering is damaged and needs to be stripped off and replaced. It is not real veneer (probably more likely some sort of photograph - or whatever technology they used 20 yrs ago). I had the bright idea of using fablon - sorry about that :) - the match with the rest of the woodwork in the caravan is not too bad. Unfortunately the fablon won't stick very well to the MDF moulding. Would it help if I used an MDF sealer or does anyone have any other bright ideas how I can replicate what is in effect an oak-"veneered" pelmut. I have looked around at various kitchen units in DIY shops (since many of these have pelmuts) to see if I could find something similar - colour is no problem but can't get the shape (it doesn't have to be exact but it needs to be similar to match in with other undamaged areas which I am not replacing).

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
mjevans said:
It is not real veneer (probably more likely some sort of photograph - or whatever technology they used 20 yrs ago)
Would you be surprised if I told you it was the same technology they've used since the 1950s until the present? You're right - it's printed paper encapsulated within a plastic film.

mjevans said:
I had the bright idea of using fablon - sorry about that :) - the match with the rest of the woodwork in the caravan is not too bad. Unfortunately the fablon won't stick very well to the MDF moulding.
The problem is that the MDF is like blotting paper. If it is sealed, painted then sanded smooth (probably 4 to 5 coats) the surface will work better for the adhesive - but I don't give much for your chances of it staying stuck as caravans can be very hot places and the glue can soften and creep when the van is parked-up over the summer months. Fablon is also printed onto PVC which can shrink in heat-cool-heat cycle situations

A better approach might be to use solid wood and try to apply a melamine lacquer (such as Rustin's or Chestnut) to try to match the general surface lustre.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back