Renovation of a Thermal Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me make sense of guidance re renovation of a thermal element, specifically replacing a timber suspended floor.

If you replace all the joists, I'm reading it that you have to meet the u-values of say a new build as opposed to renovation u-values (0.22 versus 0.25-0.7). Is that correct?

In relation to this paragraph:
Where more than 50% of the surface area of an individual thermal element or more than 25% of the total building envelope is being renovated (through undertaking an activity listed in paragraph 3.67), the whole of that element should be upgraded to the improved U-values given in column (b) of Table 3.4.

This means if you expose joists say on more than 25% of the total building as part of renovations, you should upgrade everything to renovation u-values? Equally though replacing a floor is renovating >50%, so do you go by the renovation u-values or new?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You only have to do your best, basically aim for the recommended values but it doesn't always make sense to get all the way there

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me make sense of guidance re renovation of a thermal element, specifically replacing a timber suspended floor.

If you replace all the joists, I'm reading it that you have to meet the u-values of say a new build as opposed to renovation u-values (0.22 versus 0.25-0.7). Is that correct?

In relation to this paragraph:
Where more than 50% of the surface area of an individual thermal element or more than 25% of the total building envelope is being renovated (through undertaking an activity listed in paragraph 3.67), the whole of that element should be upgraded to the improved U-values given in column (b) of Table 3.4.

This means if you expose joists say on more than 25% of the total building as part of renovations, you should upgrade everything to renovation u-values? Equally though replacing a floor is renovating >50%, so do you go by the renovation u-values or new?

Thanks!

Is the rest of the work you are doing under building regs? - if not, do what you want.

If it's inside, who will even know or notice?

Do your best (which is the actual requirement), but don't worry about it and don't bother with an application.

Pay attention to draught proofing.

Sponsored Links
This goes to show how ridiculously complicated thermal insulation is becoming.
In the Good Old Days of Building Regulations 1965, we were told what insulation material and thickness was required, and that was that.
No faffing about with cold bridges, vapour barriers and lambda values.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back