Exteral Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just reading a post from a couple of weeks ago where Jeds stated that:
Technically speaking building regulations requires you to consider upgrading the overall thermal performance of the walls. This applies to any situation where you renovate more than 25% of the surface area of an element - which is obviously the case here.

My house is a semi and it desperately needs re-rendering. Render is missing in places and alterations (blocked up doors and windows) mean new blockwork that needs rendering.

My walls are solid and so would need to be insulated externally. Any insulation added externally to my property is going to leave a substantial step at the party wall line.

While I would love to upgrade the U-value of my walls I think it will look appalling. Are building control really that keen on this issue?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
:evil: :evil: Anyone got a sensible answer? :LOL:

I mean, the word "consider" makes me think it's not an absolute requirement...

Dear Mr. BCO,
Re the rendering. I considered upgrading the thermal performance...then decided against it. The regs don't need me to do any more than that do they? :p :LOL:

Err, my first answer was! Should you commence re-rendering of your whole house and should an over zealous inspector happen to drive past and investigate, he may well knock on the door and stick his nose in. He is likely to ask you to ensure new works meet the regulations. If you tell him where to go, he will probably threaten you with this and that and in reality just mark your address down on his system as having non-compliant works carried out. The sting is that should you or anyone else ever require any more legitimate Building Regs work on the property it will rear its head! Then again, if nobody notices or doesn't care you will get away with it.

The Building Regs are pretty clear tbh, see for yourself: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...rtl/bcconsfppartlappdoc/bcconsfppartl1bappdoc page 23 section 56

Some inspectors/Local Authority are more keen than others, nobody on here can really know for sure if you will be asked to improve the insulation or not and to what extent.

Insulation can also be added to the inside aswell BTW albeit with its own logistical headaches.

i would not worry about it. BCO's have much more to worry about than diligent people as yourself trying to clean things up and make them look right.

i would not worry about it. BCO's have much more to worry about than diligent people as yourself trying to clean things up and make them look right.
There's been a fair few threads on here where BC have either noticed or have been informed by nosey neighbours etc. Some inspectors will take an interest.

I am a few days into hacking of the old render and have received a letter from the council to say i need to apply for planning permission. (nosey neighbours probably informed them) I have had cavity wall insulation installed so that should be ok shouldnt it?

You could upgrade the termal performance of your walls by dry lining them, this would of course mean redecorating all the rooms which depending on the condition of the house may or may not be a problem. you would also loose a small amount of floor area from each room depending on the thickness of dry lining installed.

I patched the areas of missing pebble dash in the end and then painted all the pebbledashing. The majority of the dashing was in good condition and not blown anywhere. So while I haven't upgraded the thermal performance I have saved myself over £2500 on the cost of the works by patching instead of completely redoing the house (not including the cost of the insulation)

I'm guessing it would take me quite a while to save that much money in reduced heating costs and I'm more than happy with the result.

It is a huge improvement and you can't even see the joins!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back