external insulation and rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the relevant forum, but my query relates to the above, where the application is on a wall bordering a pavement.

My house is on a corner, and one of the walls adjoins the pavement. How far out would be acceptable to insulate and/or render? Or is it generally not acceptable? The pavement is only about 6ft wide, and there are always cars parked in the gutter, so its fairly closed in.

There is also a Virgin Media cabinet about 4 inches from my house wall, which I probably wouldnt be able to get behind. Out of interest, what if I did need access to the wall behind this cabinet for whatever reason? Would they be obliged to shift it FOC or would they charge (extortionate fees) for this?

By the way I have solid brick walls, hence the external insulation proposition!

I seem to recall a render material with built-in insulation properties which goes on fairly thin?

Sponsored Links
You cannot build over your boundary. One assumes your boundary follows the outside face of your external wall? Therefore building anything over this boundary (especially where the council is your neighbour) would seem to be a risky operation don't you think? You can get thinner external insulation but the thinner you go the less effective it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back