1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Thermal render on old cavity wall house.

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by jocollett, 21 Jan 2021.

1. jocollett

jocollett

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello. My house needs re-rendering and I understand that now under building regs it need to be thermally improved. However the house was built in 1914 and has a narrow cavity wall. The cavity doesnt exist everywhere either. In some places the walls have virtually no cavity and the wall in the alley has no cavity anywhere. It has no dpc and has damp internal walls. It's also a terraced house so thermal render would look odd.
    Would external thermal render be suitable in this case? Should I go for internal insulation instead?
    Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why would thermal render look any different from render

4. jocollett

jocollett

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it not 100mm thick? Its a terrace sowould be a lateral step from next door. I'm not fussed but it might look a bit odd.

5. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are you sure that it's a cavity wall? How thick is it? And how thick is the cavity? Cavity walls (with fairly narrow cavities) do exist prior to 1920, but they're quite rare.

6. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anyway, if you can sacrifice the floor area, I'd opt for a thin internal insulation.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It does not need to be improved, you need to consider improving the insulation in context of practicality, cost and payback.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mrrusty

mrrusty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not really - not up here in Lancashire. Our 1902 is cavity, and I'm pretty sure most of the accrington brick faced properties in the NW will be too. All our external walls on the architects original plans (which we have) show 11" walls - i.e. 2" cavities, so this was design by architects, and not just a builder's whim.

10. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Accrington? Hooa deyy?

11. jocollett

jocollett

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah is definitely cavity walls on the front and back just not in the alley. It's in Sheffield. I've done some work tiying in the external wall to the internal walls (as they were bowing) and so have had the plaster and internal leaf bricks out. Some bricks were laid on their sides others right up against the exterior leaf no cavity.
    I may go for external insulation if I can afford it after all the work on the roof is done. Not sure if it's a good idea without a dpc.

12. jocollett

jocollett

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've actually started putting 100m recticel on the internal alley walls. I could extend all around the interior too.