Thermal render on old cavity wall house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My house needs re-rendering and I understand that now under building regs it need to be thermally improved. However the house was built in 1914 and has a narrow cavity wall. The cavity doesnt exist everywhere either. In some places the walls have virtually no cavity and the wall in the alley has no cavity anywhere. It has no dpc and has damp internal walls. It's also a terraced house so thermal render would look odd.
Would external thermal render be suitable in this case? Should I go for internal insulation instead?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it not 100mm thick? Its a terrace sowould be a lateral step from next door. I'm not fussed but it might look a bit odd.

Are you sure that it's a cavity wall? How thick is it? And how thick is the cavity? Cavity walls (with fairly narrow cavities) do exist prior to 1920, but they're quite rare.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, if you can sacrifice the floor area, I'd opt for a thin internal insulation.

It does not need to be improved, you need to consider improving the insulation in context of practicality, cost and payback.

Cavity walls (with fairly narrow cavities) do exist prior to 1920, but they're quite rare.

Not really - not up here in Lancashire. Our 1902 is cavity, and I'm pretty sure most of the accrington brick faced properties in the NW will be too. All our external walls on the architects original plans (which we have) show 11" walls - i.e. 2" cavities, so this was design by architects, and not just a builder's whim.

Yeah is definitely cavity walls on the front and back just not in the alley. It's in Sheffield. I've done some work tiying in the external wall to the internal walls (as they were bowing) and so have had the plaster and internal leaf bricks out. Some bricks were laid on their sides others right up against the exterior leaf no cavity.
I may go for external insulation if I can afford it after all the work on the roof is done. Not sure if it's a good idea without a dpc.

I've actually started putting 100m recticel on the internal alley walls. I could extend all around the interior too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back