Rendering a wall without insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a end terrace with solid walls. I have a very large end gable wall that has render dropping off that needs attention. I was hoping to get solid exterior wall insulation fitted to the whole house rather than re-rendering. The next door house is about three feet from my house and I've had a couple of installers have a look and they've said it just isn't possible there isn't enough room for scaffolding. Also both upstairs and downstairs there are narrow hallways running along the gable wall which could not really lose any width and I had to cut the kitchen work-top into a door frame to get it to fit so the kitchen cannot lose any width either so interior insulation seems out of the question as well. Building regs say insulation must be brought up to current standards if the wall is re-rendered so I'm not sure what the options are. Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
3' is pretty narrow, and will of course get narrower, but surely they could still get scaffolding in there?

Yes I think it would be physically possible to do the work but they're saying health and safety requires 2.1m gap.

Sponsored Links
From memory isn't 2.1m the maximum span of a bay?

You can do some research yourself, and find out if what you were told is true, or if it's one of the many H&S myths out there, but ATEOTD if the EWI people say they won't do it then that won't help you.

You could try contacting a couple of scaffolding contractors and see what they say - if you can go back to the EWI installers with a professional opinion saying of course you can put a platform in there then they might reconsider - they may only have a generalist understanding of scaffolding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back