repainting damaged surface in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas,

I've got a plasterboard ceiling in the bathroom, part of which is at an angle. (see photo)

Unfortunately the bathroom suffers from heavy condensation in the winter, so despite my best efforts to dry it with a cloth, and leave the window open for as long as I can stand, the ceiling is wet for days on end. It developed mould in the past, and I scraped it down and repainted. However, as a result of the scraping, the surface is no longer smooth - see 2nd photo. In some places, I think that some of the plaster came off the plasterboard, leaving a rutted surface. There are also little "islands" of old paint which are clearly visible.

Now I need to repaint again, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get it smooth again. Some ideas:
(1)line with paper, then repaint. I suppose that would make the mould problem worse.
(2)sand with an electric sander. Might help a bit.
(3)get some Polyfilla Smooth Over, and try to apply it. A lot of people have struggled to get good results though.
(4)Try to apply PVA and skim plaster myself. Is this realistic for a DIYer of average incompetence?
(5)Pay a plasterer x hundred quid to do it properly.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
the sloped part of the ceiling probably has no insulation and will always be plagued by condensation.

Consider finishing the whole area with a non-porous board such as PVC sheet cladding, over an insulation layer.

the sloped part of the ceiling probably has no insulation and will always be plagued by condensation.

Consider finishing the whole area with a non-porous board such as PVC sheet cladding, over an insulation layer.

thanks Owain. Yes, I'm sure that there isn't any insulation and no doubt your suggestion would be better.

However, I'm only renting the place. My landlord wouldn't be interested in doing it properly as he doesn't have to pay the heating bills or suffer the consequences of mould.

I guess I need a solution that would allow me to handover the property without losing a big chunk of my deposit.

Sponsored Links
(1)line with paper, then repaint. I suppose that would make the mould problem worse.
(2)sand with an electric sander. Might help a bit.
(3)get some Polyfilla Smooth Over, and try to apply it. A lot of people have struggled to get good results though.
(4)Try to apply PVA and skim plaster myself. Is this realistic for a DIYer of average incompetence?
(5)Pay a plasterer x hundred quid to do it properly.

(1) Should produce a tolerably good result. Maybe do it shortly before the end of your tenancy...
(2) Complete nightmare, creating loads of nasty dust right above your head.
(3) Waste of time in my view. You'd end up having to sand it, for which see (2).
(4) I wouldn't, personally - a ceiling is no place to learn to plaster ...
(5) Not going to be worth it for a rented property.

So if you think your landlord or their agent is likely to withhold deposit on the basis of the uneven paint, I'd vote for (1). Otherwise just paint it.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back