repainting prefinished doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited mostly what appear to be pre finished doors in my house, is it possible to repaint these, as at the moment paint seems to slide all over the doors without adhering to the surface, if it is possible which products would be most suitable?

thanks in advance for any suggestion

EddieB

Sponsored Links
What, do you mean by pre-finished? Pre-finished with what? And what paint are you using?

If you are getting "fish eyes" the doors may have been contaminated with silicone- eg Mr Sheen. If a surface has been contaminated with silicone, the paint will literally push itself away and you will see craters where there is no paint.

If they are timber doors that have been waxed, the paint will not pass the fingernail test, even weeks after the paint has dried. When faced with those- I keep sanding until all of the wax has gone.

If they are varnished you will need to sand them to provide a "key" for the new paint. I prefer to sand all of the varnish off. If you don't, you may find that the new paint is prone to chipping.

If they are currently glossed then a "key" will be sufficient. If you plan to use something like oil based eggshell, in theory, you do not need to use undercoat but I often do. The undercoat is far better at obliterating the old colour. If you plan to gloss, then definitely use undercoat.

Paint sliding however is often down to the application rather than the product or substrate.

Sounds like they need sanding down first.

Some sort of primer coating they put on instead of being bare wood perhaps? Often this can be too shiny to take new paint without giving it a bit of a key first.

Hi Guys thanks for responses', These doors are I believe pre moulded white 6 panel doors with a woodgrain effect, purchased from big DIY stores for about £30 and apart from fitting hardware are ready to hang and walk away, some come factory primed which are easy to cover, the others like these appear factory finished in a brilliant white something,
I can see that some of the other doors in the house have been glossed at sometime so it should be possible. I have now applied undercoat to a part of one door but the paint is still sliding so either a better quality undercoat, or a quality paint not sure which yet.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

EddieB

Sponsored Links
Are you using a mixture of oil-based and water-based coatings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back