Repair base of built in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has some age (built early 1800s) and we want to renovate the built in cupboard that was built in to the alcove of an old fireplace (now blocked up).
The skirting that previous owners edged the bottom with looked rotten so wanted to get that out and it looks like lots of old / failed concrete has come down behind it.
How am I best tidying and sealing this?
Or is this a bigger job than I thought?

Attachments

• IMG20220502132227.jpg
    IMG20220502132227.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Phew. I can see a corner of plastic sticking out of one end. What about around the stones . Should we just pack in more mortar?

Attachments

• IMG20220502140236.jpg
    IMG20220502140236.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 57
That maybe ok if it is not compromised, just be careful taking the loose material out and you will see. I remember repairing a floor, the damp proof membrane was literally like cling film, and had worked for at least 30 years.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Fill the mortar joints then lay a new membrane and concrete over level with existing floor?

OP,
You need to post pics showing the front of the chimney breast, the full opening of the fireplace, and skirting at the sides (cheeks) of the chimney breast.
What you call "failed concrete" is probably sand & cement render.
I suspect that you might have rising damp in the fireplace walls? Knocking off a little of the render/plaster seen in your pic # 410 could reveal more info?
Is the floor a solid floor?

Then where exactly are we looking at in the first two pics? Context needed?
"alcove" means the space on either side of the chimney breast but I assumed that you were referring to the fireplace - "built in to the alcove of an old fireplace"?

How long have you lived in the house?
Do you have a survey report?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back