Repair broken tap - help me!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

This is my first post and I’d really appreciate some advice. I have what I believe is called a bath shower mixer tap, one side is broken. The tap will turn but only a little water comes through, the other side is fine and the pressure is great.

I've bought what I believe is the correct replacement but I can’t disassemble the tap, I’ve attached a photo. I don’t know the correct term for the tap so can’t find out how to google. I’m rubbish with DIY but really want to learn. I’d appreciate any advice you can give.

I’ve taken the top off but can’t find out how to get it off, it doesn’t release from underneath.

Many thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• 97655531-E51A-4A71-BC35-4069E659F622.jpeg
    97655531-E51A-4A71-BC35-4069E659F622.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
bath filler with shower diverter

I expect the washer assembly is worn or the horseshoe clip come off or the left-handed spindle come out of the sleeve.

start by turning off the water

then pry off the cover on the tap top

then undo the screw holding the knob and pull it off

then unscrew the headworks using the large brass nut

After removing the central screw ,the tap handle pulls upward and off. They very often get fused onto the spline with limescale and can be very difficult to separate. Try pouring boiling hot water into the top of the tap handle.

I’ve tried pretty hard but it isn’t coming off, it is looser since boiling water but still stuck. Do you think it would be easier to just replace the whole tap? Thank you for taking the time to post. It is appreciated. Matt

Sponsored Links
you can jiggle and rattle it, it may loosen in time. If it's limescale, vinegar or a bathroom cleaning spray such as Viakal may dissolve it, given time. WD40 lubes, but it does not attack limescale.

If you can wiggle it while giving a continuous pull, that may get it off. Your knob looks like metal not plastic, so you can tap it upwards by putting a screwdriver or something underneath and knocking it with another screwdriver. (plastic is prone to breaking, once you get annoyed)

A new bath filler is quite expensive
https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/search?q=bath+filler

though you may find something on clearance or on ebay.

I am particularly fond of Bristan taps which are good quality.

IMO the ones with ceramic cartridges, especially if they have a single lever or joystick, go wrong more.

If you are not good at plumbing, it is quite hard changing a bathtap, as you have to take the panel off and stick your head into the space.

If you are new to this game Matt I'd persevere with getting the tap shroud off - which will reveal the insert which is your trouble.
You could find yourself getting into pipework issues and access behind bath panels is invariably terrible :eek:
Try levering up gently with a screwdriver and it should come away.
John :)

Try rapping it with a block of wood ,side to side ,whilst levering upward ,after giving another dose of boiling water.

Hit it with a rubber mallet around the side top edge.
If you haven’t a rubber mallet, use the rubber shaft of a hammer.
It should eventually come off.
Although I did have one recently I had to destroy the head part by gripping it with grips and turning entire works and head out anti-clockwise.
You could replace the hot and cold works and heads using similar conversion tap heads/works kits.
SF sell them for about £9 a pair

I install them when new with some silicone grease on the head part where it pushes on the splines of the works. Makes future work easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back