Repair channel in screed floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom floor which is above the garage. It is a row of hard concrete formers with about a 5cm deep screed on top, then tiles on top of that. For reasons I won't go into, I decided to take up the floor tiles, and I then discovered that my hot and cold water pipes are running diagonally across the floor in the screed. I uncovered quite a lot of the pipe to see where it went, so as not to accidentally drill through it etc.

They are copper pipes, encased in flexible plastic cable conduit, and don't appear to have any joins, so I am intending to leave them as they are, because it would appear that the same pipe goes through into the adjacent kitchen and diagonally across the floor there too (in the other direction, would you believe?), so I don't want to break it to make any unnecessary joins.

The screed is very crumbly and I think it might be expanded clay aggregate, with a much harder tile cement on top.

My question is, what is the best material to use to fill in around the pipes again? I'm intending to repair any deeper gouges where the tiles pulled out some of the aggregate then apply a coat of self-levelling compound on top, to make it fit for re-tiling.

I know copper and concrete can be a bad mix, but these are fully encased in plastic and the conduit looks sound. I'm really asking how to keep the pipes in situ and with the mixture suitable to take a levelling compound and tiles on top, without risking damage to either the pipes or the tiled surface later on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back