Repair coal fireplace brick in chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
E86F67D7-1E4D-4C0D-996D-966C9C6DFFCC.jpeg
3C7A9915-4EED-4380-B476-7D9F1C1BF654.jpeg
9E3F154C-EC8A-48CA-B751-731A413E8E77.jpeg
Hi, just looking for advice on repairing the fire brick. I am fitting a new gas fire that sits into the chimney (old one sat proud on the hearth) new fire sits as an insert, the front flush with wall.
When removing the old fire we discovered old fireplace bricks crumbling. We removed a very old small tank too that the old water system ran through. The rag is stopping the draft coming in passed the metal plate.
Any advice appreciated. I did consider a small lintel just above the plate at the front leaving a gap for the vent. Then replace, fill and tidy the cheeks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, just to add, the previous owners had a wire mesh covered in cement forming a front cover or, facing, across the top 6” that was cracked and buckled (removed).

someone has removed part of the brick arch that was linteling above the opening.
the brickwork above can move so its best to have a lintel fitted at the correct height for your new gas fire instal dimensions.
the old metal parts inside the opening must be removed and the flue fully opened an then swept.

your new gas fire will probly need a SS flue liner but you should get a GasSafe HETAS on the job.
dont try an DIY the work, use the HETAS.

if the plaster on the face of the chimney breast is cracked or failin then hack it off back to brick and re-do.
do all the work in one go.

Sponsored Links
Hiya, Thank you so much. I have a qualified gas fitter who also works alongside a roofer who is going to inspect the fireplace.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back