Repair door frame coming away from wall, causing door to no longer close.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a door, built next to a column/pillar, hinge side.
So when the door passes 90 degrees open it hits against the pillar, really close to the wall.
It was swung open so hard against the pillar that the frame started to come away from the wall. I tried to repair by banging/screwing it back in, but over time its started to come away again.

How can I repair the door frame?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
photos please

2sJdLtt.jpg

it looks like it hits the skirting board first, is that right?

Open the door and show us the inside of the doorframe. Fixing screws might be visible (but some hidden behind the doorstop).

On the other side of the door is probably an architrave hiding the wall/frame gap.

stand back and photograph the entire door and frame please.

When did the door start doing this?

is the wall made of brick? How old is the house?

Do you have a teenage daughter in the house?

Sponsored Links
it looks like it hits the skirting board first, is that right?
Thats right its hitting the skirting bottom right which is pulling it away.

Open the door and show us the inside of the doorframe. Fixing screws might be visible (but some hidden behind the doorstop).
Dont have access atm but will send photos asap.
Cant see any visible fixing screws.

On the other side of the door is probably an architrave hiding the wall/frame gap.
Yes

stand back and photograph the entire door and frame please.
Will send later

When did the door start doing this?
Months ago, maybe longer.

is the wall made of brick? How old is the house?
Yes wall is made of brick. This room was built either late 90s or early 2000s.

Do you have a teenage daughter in the house?
No

Any other person who in a fit of anger may violently hurl the door open?
Yeah, I think that is what has happened in the past, it has been slammed open 1 or 2 times which started it.

I think we can retain the frame more firmly, and add a springy or rubbery doorstop to prevent the door hitting the wall with a bang.

I think we can retain the frame more firmly, and add a springy or rubbery doorstop to prevent the door hitting the wall with a bang.
tLqHAhV.jpg
bRSFjmQ.jpg

Hi please see two pictures of inside the door frame.
I cant see any fixings or screws axcept the ones for the hinges.

The other side is brick.

How can I secure the frame back against the wall?

Thanks for any help

I'd start by removing the architrave (and the beading on the other side. You may be able to pry it off with a metal scraper or a wide old chisel never again to be used on wood.

This will expose the gap between the door lining ("frame") and the wall.

it is likely bits of broken plaster and brick are lodged in the gap. Scrape them out as they will prevent it being pushed back into place.

Pull off the doorstop strip on that side. Very likely you will see the heads of fixing screws concealed under it. Undo them. There are probably some more hidden by filler and paint. You will be able to see where they are now you have pulled off the architrave.

Put your knee against the lining, and your back against the other side. Can you push it back into place? When you can, you have removed the obstructions. It will probably spring back out, don't worry about that. it is best to take the door off its hinges so its weight doesn't pull on the lining.

You will probably need to drill new holes for screws and plasplugs into the wall. You can get "frame fixings" which are extra long and can be drilled right through.

Before you finally tighten them, get a spray can of Expanding Foam (I prefer the pink fire resisting grade). You will squirt it, using the plastic injection tube, into the gap between the door and the lining immediately before you do up the screws. It will glue the frame to the wall, and is slightly resilient to absorb vibration or bangs. Moisten the gap with water using a plant mister before squirting in the foam, the damp improves adhesion and setting.

Cover the wall, door and floor with clingfilm or newspaper as the foam is very sticky and goes everywhere. You will need lots of disposable gloves, and old clothes.

Last edited:
finally, screw a rubber doorstop to the floor, where the opening edge of the door will hit it, and a spring stop to the wall, to prevent the door banging hard against the wall. Consider removing the skirtingboard as it put leverage on the door.

Hanging a coat or something on the door or wall will also slow it.

I'd start by removing the architrave (and the beading on the other side. You may be able to pry it off with a metal scraper or a wide old chisel never again to be used on wood.

Hi, does this mean the architrave, beading and door stop, will need to be replaced. Or can I re-use them? thanks

you can use them again if not damaged much

they are not expensive items.

expect to do some filling and painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back