Repair fence post against pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep the storm got my fence and I need to replace 6 x 2.1m 100mm wooden posts. I have done a few on sides of the fence, I am comfortable with the process and have a breaker which makes easy work of the concrete but this time I have a slight uncertainty because we are the end house and this fence is against the pavement.

Obviously the issue here is that I won’t be able to break up much of the concrete at the other side of the post as I’ll be doing it all from my garden side, I can probably do a few inch at an angle but not enough as you would normally need. There is a concrete curb edging that I will need to dig ‘under’ if that makes sense and the post will but up against this.

So my question really is, should I be worried about this, I’m assuming that concrete doesn’t adhere to other concrete, so in essence in a strong wind the post could ‘roll’ towards my garden because it’s not supported enough on one side. But then again I’d hope that this would be stopped by the edging as the top of the new postcrete would be secured from above. Should I consider some kind of anchor bolt screwed into the existing concrete before adding the new postcrete? Or perhaps come kind of bonding agent (don’t know if this exists or would work)?

I hope that makes sense quite hard to describe!

Sponsored Links
Under mine the footpath enough to remove existing and shutter up to fill excavation with concrete.

Hi thanks for the reply can you explain what you mean by shutter up please I’m not familiar with that term ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back