Repair hole from extractor fan pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed the plasterboard in my kitchen and found an old hole for an extractor fan pipe and an old hole for a 40mm waste pipe.

They had been stuffed full of carrier bags.
I've got an idea how to deal with the waste pipe hole - expanding foam and mortar to seal.

But any ideas what should I do with the extractor fan hole?
It's going to be boarded over so doesn't have to look pretty.
The outside still had the vent grill cover on.

Sponsored Links
I would cut a bit of something water proof, bit of UPVC plastic, Alli, perspex, external ply, whatever comes to hand and silicone it to the back of the old vent, then stuff the hole with loft insulation.
Remember to save the bags they are worth 5p each now!

I would cut a bit of something water proof, bit of UPVC plastic, Alli, perspex, external ply, whatever comes to hand and silicone it to the back of the old vent, then stuff the hole with loft insulation.

or squirty foam. If there is any possibility that someone might need to find the hole again put a small 'fake' vent grill on the inside wall.

It seems to me that expanding foam can hold water, unless used in dry conditions. Can rain or leaks reach it?

Sponsored Links
Good idea, I think I will give the expanding foam a go, cap off with some left over UPVC and leaving the vent cover on the outside as patching up the brick work will look a bit crap. Cheers guys

I'd suggest that you fill the inside hole with masonry bits and mortar, & then plaster/easi-fill over.
On the outside remove the cut bricks, and patch with bricks to match the bond and brick type.
Rub over the patch to remove any newness.
Locate and remove/isolate any historic elec feed and switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back