Repair multipoint locking mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7CF18AFC-00EB-4D3E-BC32-319EEFA84B1E.jpeg 7DCA80FD-ACAA-4606-A636-10AE6B4F91A8.jpeg 97969C78-95D8-4952-AFA1-AB5F69FB846C.jpeg 0D5A1183-700B-4439-9141-789F887ACCF7.jpeg
Hi there,
So I have a few questions about our back door. We are looking to move soon so just freshening things up. I would like to replace the lock and handle on the door and am just wondering if I need a particular handle and lock or can I take my pick from screwfix? I would also like to replace the door seal, again, is this pretty straight forward? I noticed water coming in from the bottom a few days ago and low and behold discovered that the bottom catch for the lock is missing.... never noticed before so need a catch as well. Where would be the best place to get the seal and catch from please? Are they pretty widely available? I’d like to also consider changing the hinges but that would purely be for appearance purposes... all help and advice is greatly appreciated as always!!

Sponsored Links
When you say change the lock do you mean the cylinder that the key goes in or the whole mechanism?

Euro cylinders are pretty straight forward. There are a few sizes to take into account but they cost between £5-60 for the top of the range. If you were keeping the house I would say go for the more expensive high security ones as the cheap ones are easy to break into.

Locking mechs are pretty complex, There are thousands of different ones and you will need the exact one . Depending on the age and how obsolete it is could cost between £50-200 for the parts.
You need to take the whole strip out and look for names and codes. If you lucky it will have those and a quick Google will find the parts you need. If no markings you need to take dosens of very accurate measurements and search loads of websites.

Gaskets are usually fairly cheap but we could do with seeing the cross section to advise what type you need. Photo of one of the ends head on. Again there are tons of these and once you know the type you will need to find the exact size.

Handles can be a bit tricky to measure too. You need to take these measurements millimeter perfect which can be tricky as you need to measure to the center of holes. https://www.handlestore.com/blog/how-to-measure-upvc-door-handles/

Personally if your selling I would just leave it to the new owners, Maybe just put a new handle on it to make it look tidy.
You could probably get a new door fitted for £550-650. Which if your planning to do all the above things and you have a tricky/expensive gearbox, One slight mis-measure and doing the repairs could end up costing you more than a new door.

Thanks for your reply Gazman.

In answer to the points you make :

Yes, it is just the cylinder we are looking at changing as we don’t have a key to lock it from the outside, and I don’t like having the thumb turn on the inside.. so was hoping to change the handle and cylinder.

Regarding the piece I’m missing, Ive not explained myself very well I don’t think. I really don’t want to change anything to do with the locking mechanism. On the door frame, the locking “latches?” Slide into metal cup like things (I’ll get a pic) it is the cup type thing which is missing.

I’ll also get a picture of the seal today and it’s profile view to see if you can help with that.

Thanks ever so much.. I’ll get some more pics.

63B10633-0361-47F6-8729-B1909364195B.jpeg 591CC5A2-3C75-45E6-BDBE-004E3C8BFC2D.jpeg C67907AB-C36B-4631-BEFA-CA51C7DE49EA.jpeg
I have some pictures.. I’m looking for a catch like the one pictured to replace the one that’s broken off at some point (see picture also).
I’ve also got a pic of the profile of the seal.. hopefully someone can help with their availability.. thanks very much..!!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
what an absolutely flippin brilliant idea..!!! thanks Gaz.. I'll have a look at those and see what I can sort. Could I just ask again about the handle and lock cylinder. If I measure and find the handle to fit, I could upgrade the lock cylinder to a more secure key lock each side one?

Hello

Yes you can. Video here on how to measure the cylinder https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=W7ms3BB8CTU
If you want good security you want something with 3* rated security
Ultron and ABS are some of the best but quite pricey at around £50-60. Yale do some too that are ok and a fair bit cheaper.

I posted the link on how to measure the door handle on my 1st post here. You can buy both handles and locks from that website but ebay would be cheaper.
As I say your measuring to the center of holes so can be a bit tricky as just 1 or 2mm out the new handle wont fit. I would recommend taking the handle off and using a ruler to measure from the back.
The PZ is the most important (center of spinal to center of the round part of the euro cylinder) but if you can find a handle that matches the rest of the measurements it will make life easier as you can reuse the old fixing holes.
If you struggle to find the exact sizes you can buy an "adjustable PZ" handle but you would need to drill new fixing holes for one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back