Repair papered walls after removing coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have removed a plaster coving in my bedroom but unfortunately it came off with bits of old lining paper and wall paper. The house is approximately 30 years old and throughout it has a dab and dot plasterboard covered with multiple layers of paint, and lining paper.

Do you have any ideas how this can be fixed? I would like to avoid stripping the whole wall paper as I tried in the kitchen and its very difficult to get it off.

After reading up a lot on the internet I am considering:

1. Cutting away any damaged wall paper with a knife to get a clean lines
2. Then applying a Zinsser Gardz primer
3. Then applying a tin layer of plaster, sanding and applying another layer of plaster.
4. Finally applying another coat of Zinsser Gardz primer and paining it with a matt emulsion.

I am very keen to get a good finish but would like to avoid having the full walls re-skimmed. Do you think this will work?

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to repair it? I am not very keen on coving that's one the old one was removed.

There is no way to repair damaged or missing wallpaper other than stripping it off and starting again.

You can sometimes paint over what is already up (assuming stuck very firmly to wall) but in your case there will be a change in surface where the coving was. It will look a mess. Painting over old wallpaper will always be less satisfactory than starting with a smoothened, bare plaster wall, crosslining and re-papering (if wallpaper is what you want).

Sponsored Links
You could get a wide paper border to cover the top of the wall.

Not a very good idea to start tearing coving down when you want to keep the wallpaper.

But there you go.

Thanks for the responses. I think my initial post was misunderstood, the walls are painted over a lining paper not covered in paper. I am looking for an alternative fix instead of having the paper stripped and walls skimmed.

I am looking to repaint the whole room with an emulsion paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back