Repair - repaint Wooden Porch.. how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum,
I wish to strip, repair and re-paint my front door porch; it's a sixities house so the wood is quite rotten in some places.

Anyone has done this before, any tips how to do the job?

How long would it take?

I posted the job on mybuilder but traders not bothered, so I will have to diy :(

I have an orbital sander and a paint stripper blade and a vibration tool with rasp head already.
I am a bit concerned regarding how to strip the wood profiles; these are quite elaborate shapes, very narrow so I cannot use the sander there. No idea what tool to use other than never ending hand sanding.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7546.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7549.JPG
    IMG_7549.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7550.JPG
    IMG_7550.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7551.JPG
    IMG_7551.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
A heat gun, and a hook scraper would be your best bet to take it back to bare wood. This will give a good surface for painting with some decent paint of your choice. Clearly, gloss is inferior for this application.

Repair with two part wood filler, but remove any rot first, and treat with a preservative such as Cuprinol Wood Preserver Clear (BP).

When you have sanded all this thoroughly, re-paint.

Best paint to use: linseed paint - but this time of year, you will only get the base coat of linseed oil on before it gets too cold to apply, so you'll have to wait until April/May before finishing.

Second best paint: Bedec MSP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back