Repair Sash Window has shifted window frame help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have been having repairs to the sash window carried out and I have noticed that one of the frames or architrave around the frame has come away from the wall.

I have put a photo below, what is the best way to repair it? Should I just use caulk in the gap created and what should I do where the wall paint has come away as it looks to have stripped all paint off.

Can the architrave be put back? Is it normal for it to come away like it has, there was alot of hammering trying to get a parting between the two weights put in as the old one had broken down.

GALLERY]

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
get a block of wood and with a hammer give it a smack to push it back a tad.then painters mate down the side and paint.jobs a gooden.

Surely the repair men haven't left it like that? :confused:

Thats certainly suffered some heavy handed grief....usually the weight boxes are quite easy to break into....after all, cord renewal is expected at some time.
Will you check the exterior seal of the window, just in case there have been cracks in any cementing around the frame?
If alls well there, then gregers advice is the way to go.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the wagtail is but the parting bead had to be replaced and he did have difficulty getting something suitable in place to keep the weights separate.

I'll have to wait till the weekend to check around the outside but I have noticed on my other windows (ones which have not been worked on) they have cement between the brick and frame and a lot of them have a large gap
between the two. Would it be wise to use an exterior sealant as we are trying to eliminate draughts?

Thanks for your help

M'lady, you can get away with filling a gap with silicone sealer if its say 10mm or less.
More than that then it needs to be back filled with the jolly old compo.

Yes you would have a job on, fitting a piece to stop the weights touching were they clanking around? but no excuse for not finshing properly.send some pic's of the gaps outside

Mr Harbourwoodwork......is the parting slip and the wag tail the same - to stop the weights jamming together?
Cheers!

Don't know that one, but I was shown how to re cord sash windows many years ago, using a 'moose' - which roughly translates to a mouse......a short length of lead rod that passed over the pulleys, dragging the new cord on a thin line behind it. Cord wastage was punishable by torture.
Can't remember how its done now!

I used to do a lot of re cording when I first started(a long time back)we used to string all the weights in one go,first over the first pulley out of the sash pocket back up diagionally across the window and over the next pulley and so on until its all strung,that saves re tying the mouse for every sash weight then there is a trick to cutting the sash cord to the right length it was something like cutting all the cord where they cross in the middle ,I needed this trick on a job a bit back and for the life of me could not remember what it was, unresolved of east sussex

I used to do a lot of re cording when I first started(a long time back)we used to string all the weights in one go,first over the first pulley out of the sash pocket back up diagionally across the window and over the next pulley and so on until its all strung,that saves re tying the mouse for every sash weight then there is a trick to cutting the sash cord to the right length it was something like cutting all the cord where they cross in the middle ,I needed this trick on a job a bit back and for the life of me could not remember what it was, unresolved of east sussex

i do a lot of these where i work,some of the buggers weigh over 28 lb each weight.
with a box about the size of a matchbox.absolute bloody nightmare.
i too was learnt that trick,1 knot 1 mouse 1 window,oh a few ring shank nails ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back