Repair tiny slits in roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to take a small section out of the ceiling in my back bedroom so I can get into the space above and remove rubble and then put in some insulation, before making good the ceiling again.

There's only about 5 inches between the plasterboard ceiling and the roof felt. Unfortunately, while sawing through the plasterboard using a jabsaw I've managed to puncture a few tiny slits in the roof felt above. They're so small I don't think there'll be a problem but to be on the safe side I'd like to repair them to make sure the roof's watertight.

Can anyone suggest the best way to repair these tiny slits. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So I'd be sticking it on the underside of the roof felt. Would it be watertight if any did seep through?

Yes, that said if water gets under your tiles there is something else wrong. There are millions of old houses in the UK that have no felt at all and they do not leak.

Sponsored Links
Yeah - I think I knew that but I'd forgotten about it. That's cheered me up actually - now I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem. But I'll still make doubly sure with the duck tape, as you suggest. Thank you very much.

If they are small slits just pop a patch of polythene on them stuck down with a blob of Sticks Like S**t or similar .

Duct tape may struggle in the wet or if the felt is the gritty felt type.

PS.
"Duck" is a brand. The woven tapes are generally known as duct tape.

Yeah, I wouldn't use duct-tape as its not dead waterproof and doesn't last for ever.

But equally as said, be felt is still original and about 70 years old, full of holes, and the tiles keep the water out just fine.

Daniel

Thanks to noseall and dhutch - I'll give the duck tape a miss and go instead with the polythene and Sticks Like Sh*t. Appreciate your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back