Repair to a blown brick during tap installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had an outside tap installed and as the drill was coming through it blew out 2cm of brick. Looking to repair this using the following:

- Mortar
- Mortar dye
- Waterproof sealant (once cured)

Basically rebuild up the brick face with a similar coloured mortar to cosmetically repair and then seal for extra protection. I may then install a tap box around the tap to protect it further.

Is there anything inherently wrong with this approach, or anything to be mindful of?

Thanks
IMG_1245.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Quite a chunk!
I'd be stitch drilling that out and replacing it.
Cut a slot into the replacement brick so that it slides under the pipe, and poke some mortar or foam in the top hole.

I'd be looking to make a bit of a jigsaw repair with the pieces of brick that blew off if possible.

Thanks for the replies. @Lower I did consider this but I can’t get the pieces to sit flush. Then when trying to chisel out the pipe hole some of the bits broke so gave up on that attempt!

I think longer term I’ll look to replace the brick. Is the mortar approach going to cause any issues in the short term, or will it just be a bit of a non-permanent fix?

Sponsored Links
I should add, I’ve since measured and the max depth here is 15mm, max length is 150mm.

Brick is 100mm deep and 210mm across so depth is around 1/6 of the brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back