Repair to pavement outside my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a large wagon deliver some stone for my driveway a while ago and the wagon cracked one of the 3'x2' flags on the pavement outside my house and several other flags are uneven and really need taking-up and relaying. Are there any rules for carrying out such works on the public footpath?

Sponsored Links
yeah i dont think your allowed,unless you do it at night ;) think its all to do with having the relevent insurance etc.
does anybody know youve had a large wagon delivering materials?if not why not just report to the council and let them deal with it.

See "New Roads and Streetworks Act" and "Traffic Management Act"
NRSWA applies to England and Scotland although provisions differ, TMA is England and there is a similar act for Scotland.

You have to be a licenced utility or working for the Highway authority.

You have to submit a notice to the highway authority (probably your local council)

It is an offence to excavate without a notice (we were done in Devon last year for starting the day before the date on the notice -fault of contractor)

Works have to be fully barriered off and workforce must have right protective equipment, must make provision for replacement footway (barriered from traffic etc, must bve signed correctly (see red book) - failure to do any of these is an offence.

You have to close the notice . . fines if you don't

There may be charges for occupation while you do it

The highway authority inspect afterwards and charge you for doing it . .

There is a 2 year warranty - they tend to do the above inspection near the end of the warranty, if it is not right you re-do it and the 2 years starts again. . . . and again . . .

Best thing is to get the haulier to fix it (really pay for the coucil to fix it) after all he should not bring a HGV onto the pavement - or did you instruct him to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back