Repair Wooden Chest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a wooden chest made for our lounge from scaffold boards, all fine except the lid has split in two. I would like to know the best way to repair, so the top does not show any joint. Would some strong glue, clamps and screws with "pocket holes" work? I considered maybr external brackets on the underside?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Probably the best way is to consider 'biscuit jointing' but you'll need a router.
At the very least you'll need some sash cramps - try some and see how the joint closes. A picture would help us if you can!
John :)

Picture attached and it has split all down the whole board.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_191208.jpg
    IMG_20200401_191208.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 123
Maybe a shot of the split from above would help......splits like this are called ‘shakes’ and that is one hell of a shake!
It may pull tight but you’ll need 3 sash cramps to do that.....do you have any? If the split wont pull, then we’ll need to call the cavalry.

Sponsored Links
It does fit quite snug back and hard to notice from the top when just pushed together so a clean break and no bits have split away. I have take a picture of the whole split and when pushed together, its a rustic look so not fine furniture, just did not want anything obvious showing if possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_200819.jpg
    IMG_20200401_200819.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200401_191208.jpg
    IMG_20200401_191208.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 109
This is the photo from the top with the 2 pieces pushed together

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_200836.jpg
    IMG_20200401_200836.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 109
Seriously, I think you are in luck there, if you can close things up by hand.
What you need to do is to coat the entire split with PVA woodworking adhesive, and clamp the two pieces together.....sash cramps can prevent bowing but it is possible to use cord in the form of a tourniquet.
Cascamite glue is another good one, but then I’m an old timer.
Either way, some sort of cramping is necessary.
Once the join has set, some metal plates on the underside would do no harm.

why not run 2 or 3 battons on the underside that fit snugly to the sides of the box? 1"x1" or similar? Glue and screw from underneath.
This is as well as gluing and clamping the split

If you have a router... bang in a biscuit. Use gorilla glue and a good sash clamp

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back