Simple Question Regarding Repair Of Draws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a chest of draws we bought couple of years ago, and as with a lot of draws, the bottoms keep falling out, due to use, over time etc. I can't afford a new set just yet, and was wondering the best way to repair them? The plywood seems fine, it just pops out all the time.

I did a Google search, and glue seems to be the go to solution, if thats the case, which glue is best for this job? I live in the UK, so any brands I can get here would be amazing, and thanks in advance, I want to make them sturdy as possible, hoping to get another couple of years out of them. Also any tips for the repair itself would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
The drawer bottoms usually fall out due to the drawer carcass becoming distorted, or the bottom itself becoming bowed due to excess weight over the years.
Fix in timber 'slips' on the drawer underside with white PVA woodworking adhesive, and hold the slips in with masking tape. Be patient allowing the glue to dry, and if there's any varnish or paint in the way, remove that with glasspaper first.
John :)

Take the drawer out and turn it over.

Make sure the ply panel is in all the grooves and square, then apply a bead of silicone around the edge where the ply meets the sides. Now leave to dry for 24hrs hours. Do this underneath the drawer.

I do this to all new drawers I get and have never had a problem.

Use clear silicone.

Andy

Sponsored Links
If there is room at base I glue in a stretcher timber front to back below the centre of draw for extra support, secured front and back it also prevents the them spreading which is the main reason the base falls thru.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back