Repairing a plasterboard ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a big hole in a plasterboard ceiling. I've cut it out square, and have new board to go in the gap. I'm wondering about the edges, though. I'd like to tape them to reduce the risk of cracks, but the existing ceiling is skimmed with plaster, so I'll have to remove a strip of plaster from the surface of the existing ceiling around the hole, otherwise there'll be a bulge where the join is.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this - i.e. remove the plaster? Or is there a better way to do it?

Help appreciated.
Richard.

Sponsored Links
What I've done with smaller holes than you (for downlighters) make sure your "plug" sits lower than the finished level and the plug is secure. A bit of P.V.A.(1:3) water brushed onto the edges then plaster and (reasonably level) to existing ceiling level, but dont go proud, easier to fill small gaps/hollows than remove excess
Erm if your plug is a "virgin" coat that with the P.V.A. mix as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back