Repairing a Tiled Valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought my first house, first rain last week, and its coming in through the valley.

Its a hipped roof with a dog-leg, so three hips and a valley. Tiles have been renewed in the last decade, but the felt is shot and as far as I can tell from the poking it have done from the underside there is nothing between the felt and the tiles, hence the leaks.

I've been quoted £550-600 to repair it, which includes removing tiles to fit a GRP valley (two lenghts at £16 each), repointing/reflashing around the chimney as required (also leaking), changing two other broken, and reseating a couple of hip tiles, plus £250 for a days scafolding for access to the valley. Based on one days labour for the valley, three hours for other jobs.

He also said that it would likely involve trimming the valley tiles to suit the grp. And that he cant do it for four weeks due to being flatout elsewhere, followed by a fortnights holiday.

So all in all i dont think thats a bad price and i might just let him do it, take the day of work to supervise him, but spend most of it working elsewhere on the house (its not like i couldnt sink a days work somwhere!). Buckets under the roof untill then!

However if i was going to DIY it, how big a job is it for a novice? Im pretty handy and am doing all the rest of my own DIY and am an graduate engineer by trade, but not experence in roofing.

Also, I assuming this isnt a stupid thing to be doing, given it leaks, im skint, and its not mid October. In the long term to doa full job the whole lot wants off and new felt but i think that can wait a year or so till the summer after next!

View media item 38561 View media item 38562

Sponsored Links
- 10 year old re roof must have a bad detail somewhere - probably the lead saddle - or lack of it . You need Noseall , from Staffs. and a regular on this forum ;) Shouldn`t need a GRP or even a lead valley either come to that . A tiled valley should be fine unless one tile gets broken like happened to me :cry: Plenty of roofs with no felt at all

Could have took a closer picture, but looks like an open valley to me, I think youve been quoted a good price.
I wouldnt try doing it yourself, theres a few tiles to come of there to fit new valleys.

The photos are from streetview, I dont currently have and ladders with me and the tree at the bottom further obstructs what view you get from the ground but I'll try and take a better one tonight.

What do you infer by and 'open valley' what am I looking for?
I will investicate further in confirm is there is an lead or if its tile only.

Im going of comments said at the time of sale but the previous owner was a builder and in understand had the roof done by somone he knows, prehaps in a rush. As I say, its certainly clear the felt is quite old, and that some of the hips are loose (proberbly resecured once already).

I have sent Noseall a message, well, a wall post and freind request, as he is on msg from freinds only.

House is in Uttoxeter (Staffs), for whats its worth.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
The difference between the valleys is, Nigel F suggested it was a closed valley, ie valley tiles.
But from the long shot photo, it looks like an open valley, ie a lead valley with the tiles cut in leaving a 150mm gap.

I must apologise as i rarely look at my friends requests etc. :oops:

I concur with the guys in that it is difficult to decipher anything from the photos other than the shape of the roof.

A roof should be able to weather the elements regardless of felt. There are many successful roofs without felt. Your roof tiles are your primary defence.

We like to use dry valleys as they do not require mortar, look neat and are a doddle to fit.

Snatch the roofers hand off at that price - bargain!

Many pronounce Uttoxeter as 'Utcheter'

Had some good days at the races but the golf course is a bit naff. To hilly and too many short holes.

Closed valley, ie valley tiles across.
Open valley, ie a lead valley with the tiles cut in leaving a gap.
Ah ok, in that case its very much a closed valley.
- With a line of moulded tiles running down the valley, which are just a slightly darker red.

Saddly by the time I got home tonight (15mins ago) it was too dark to photograph the roof, but ive got a crop the very best street view can offer.

I concur with the guys in that it is difficult to decipher anything from the photos other than the shape of the roof.

A roof should be able to weather the elements regardless of felt.

We like to use dry valleys as they do not require mortar, look neat and are a doddle to fit.
Loving the potted history of the area.
-When you say dry valley?

As far as i can tell through the felt (which quite honestly, is quite a lot!) there is no motor in the valley. Although its clearly used on the hips.

Personally I prefer the look of closed valley to open, and would be prepared to pay a little more or do an amount work to retain that. Although, on the flipside the most important thing its becomes waterproof and doesnt cost the earth!

Daniel

The valley is finished with purpose made valley tiles.
I reckon they used the old ones saved from the original roof, which is why they are a different colour - It's most likely that one or two of these are broken causing the leak, they are easy to fix (replace) and less hassle than changing entirely for an open valley.

Based on the pic i'd go along with Bethes...Brocken valley,minutes to fix.. But! it could also be saddle issue at the top of the valley. it may or maynot be there!!

The valley is finished with purpose made valley tiles.
I reckon they used the old ones saved from the original roof, which is why they are a different colour - It's most likely that one or two of these are broken causing the leak, they are easy to fix (replace) and less hassle than changing entirely for an open valley.
Sounds logical to me and a good explanation for the differing colour, if only due to there increased age. Presumably its normal to have just felt under a closed valley, you wouldn't have grp under that? And you would be able to get replacements the same or that fitted at least?
How much of a job would it be to change to lot, while you where at it? Or would you just do the broken ones, assuming thats the issue? presumably they are secured with nails like the other tiles?

Based on the pic i'd go along with Bethes...Brocken valley,minutes to fix.. But! it could also be saddle issue at the top of the valley. it may or maynot be there!!
Saddle?

Daniel

A lead saddle is used at the complex interface at the top of the valley where all the ridge tiles meet.

It should be beaten in place before the ridge tiles are fitted and weather the junction.

Felt/underlay would be under both the tiled valley or a grp valley.

yours appears to be a straight forward tiled valley to replace a broken valley tile is very easy and would yake just a minute or two (once you get up there ) No fixings involved, they are simple laid in there and wont fall out due to their wedge shape.
Replacements wont be hard to find any roofing merchant will stock "plain tile valleys" going by colour i'd say yours were marley concrete valleys.

Saddle is a piece of lead which is fitted at the very top of the valley at the junction of the ridge/hip /valley this weathers everything should the mortar fail.

It is possible your roof has been leaking for years and the felt has eventually failed.. very common.

OK, saddle, thankyou. Makes sense.

I wouldnt if him honest be supprised if has just leaked into the attic space for the last few years, if only given the amount the kitchen sink waste leaked when I moved in.

From what ive now learnt about the job in hand I think i'll ring back the roofer and for his thoughts on replace the tiles that are there now, where required. Without changing it to an open grp based valley, as the suggest is that is a sensable and cost effective thing to consider.

I dont want to penny pinch on the job, but if theres no gain in changing it, I would rather not.

Any thoughts as to why would he be suggested changing it over repairing whats there when he came and looked at the job? Or is it just the case that some roofers prefer to do it one way, and others another? He seemed competant and nice and appear to have given a good price for the suggest work, if not suggested that same as suggested here.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back